Why there is no such thing as a 24 Hour Tesco Store

WillPS

That's ridiculous! Tesco are already well and truly distorting the market in that area with their Chilwell and Long Eaton stores.
Pete

they're about to build their 7th store in the Dundee area. They had gone down to six by shutting two smaller branches and replacing one of them with a massive extra but clearly that's not good enough.

EDIT: oh no, my apologies. They opened that little one in Broughty Ferry High Street last year, so this new one will be the 8th.

1. Metro (city centre), 2. Riverside (It's another extra, but they pretend it isn't for some bizzare reason), 3. Extra (Kingsway), 4. Extra (South Road), 5. Express (B. Ferry Petrol), 6. Express (B. Ferry High Street), 7. Monifeith (Superstore), 8. The new one.

Yes, 8.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Critique

Let's see how many are in my area...

1. On the outskirts of town
2. In a village which really is part of my town, not far from No. 1 and is a Tesco Extra
3. An Express, just over a Mile away
4. Another Express, just out of town centre
5. Guess what? It's an express, in town centre
6. The 4th Express, heading out of my town
7. An Extra, heading towards a motorway
8. A Metro, also in the Village

So, quite a few.

However, if I search my entire county, it comes up with 9 stores.
Jamesypoo

According to the Tesco website, there are 14 in a 6 mile radius around our house. That's compared to just one Morrisons in the whole of the city and only a small handful in the county :x
m-in-m

Cambridge currently has the following:

Newmarket Road - Standard
Milton - Standard
Fulbourn - Standard

Chesterton - Express
Campkin Road - Express
Mill Road - Express
Histon - Express
Cherry Hinton - Express
East Road - Express

Bar Hill - Extra

To compete there is one Waitrose to the south of the city, an Asda to the east, and a Sainsburys to the south east.

No doubt there are more to come.
Chie

WillPS wrote:That's ridiculous! Tesco are already well and truly distorting the market in that area with their Chilwell and Long Eaton stores.
They recently applied for permission to build a supermarket in Sandiacre too.

Invent Meridian

In my area there are.

One Tesco Extra,
One Tesco Metro,
Three One Stops (which are owned by Tesco),
One ASDA Walmart Supercentre
And Three Co-ops.

All within two square miles.
Critique

I was out late the other night, yesterday even, and popped past the said 24 Hour Tesco store for some bits I should have got earlier in the day, and as it turned out they do shut for a few minutes between 23:59 and 00:01 of the next day. I went to go in, and some staff were at the entrance, smoking and whatever else, and told me I had to a wait a few minutes whilst they did something with the tills. So I presume they update the tills during this time.
Pete

but why would they make you wait outside, surely they can just tell you to wait when you reach the checkout?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Critique

To be honest, I have no idea. They were a bunch of bored and unhelpful people who would have probably wanted to be anywhere bar that Tesco store and seemed to pleasure in the look on my face when they told me I needed to wait in the cold.
Ben

Seems rather odd and doesn't happen at any 24 hour Tesco I've been to at that time of night. I wonder if it is some kind of Tesco rule-bending, they weren't allowed a 24 hour store but if they shut for two minutes any night that would be ok. Certainly wouldn't be the first time they've bent the rules to the max.