iPhone Apps

nidave

Sput wrote:The first time I met Gav he was trying to rut a bus shelter, so I don't know how much stock to put in it dave ;)
I am not sure what "rut" is - I am sure its not as bad as I am imagining
Gavin Scott
Admin

You whisper in my ear what you think it is and we'll see.
jay

Here are the Apps I use:

Facebook
Tweetie 2
Sky News
eBuddy - MSN, Facebook, AIM and other popular IM services while you're out and about
Ping! - Like BlackBerry Messenger
Tioti TV+ - TV Guide and Sky+ recorder
Sky+ - As above, but less reliable
BBC iPlayer (Web App)
TV Catch-up (Web App)
ooTunes - listen to loads of worldwide Radio streams
Capital FM
Shazam
Flickr
Remote - control iTunes from your phone
GayCities - lists local gay bars / restaurants etc in bigger cities - with directions etc.
National Rail
Tube Deluxe
Tube Exits
Grindr
feX - syncs your contacts with Facebook, to update Picture, Location, Age Information in Contacts
rightmove
Wikipanion

GAMES:
Rolando
Biker Blast Off
Toki Tori
WildWest Pinball
Flight Control
Airport Mania
Family Guy Uncensored
CatchaMouse
Blowfish
Scrabble

My O2
WhatsApp
Backgrounds
iMapMyRun
Drinkspiration by Absolut
MemStatus - A good way of seeing how much memory is in use and closing down Apps that run in the background to free up space
Jamie Oliver's 20 Min Meals
AppleInsider (Web App)
TomTom
NASA
Amazon UK
Twitter: @jasonbetts
rts

With Fex, does it import all your contacts from Facebook or just data from those already in your iPhone address book?
jay

rts wrote:With Fex, does it import all your contacts from Facebook or just data from those already in your iPhone address book?
It looks at your phone contacts and matches them with friends on your Facebook (you can also manually match contacts if their name is different on Facebook)
Critique

With Sky News, I think it's the fact the logo doesn't look right as there is a black square underneath it instead of it filling the app logo space, and it seems to put me off. Also, Airport Mania? I think I am thinking about the right game, a demo in O2 stores? I think that's a great game!
Jovis

jay wrote:MemStatus - A good way of seeing how much memory is in use and closing down Apps that run in the background to free up space
Surely that would be none of them?
jay

Jovis wrote:
jay wrote:MemStatus - A good way of seeing how much memory is in use and closing down Apps that run in the background to free up space
Surely that would be none of them?
Mail and Safari run in the background at all times for some reason - but this App let's you close them fully and free up quite a lot of memory/speed.
jay

I have found the single most impressive/useful App so far.

"Tesco Finder" - By Tesco's R & D Department

Not only does it used your GPS to find and direct you to the nearest Tesco store, you can thing click on 'Find products in this store', and search for any product they stock in that store.

It will tell you the aisle number, how may units along the isle, and how many shelves up from the floor the exact product is. It will also tell you if that product is on offer, and what the offer is.
nidave

jay wrote:I have found the single most impressive/useful App so far.

Not only does it used your GPS to find and direct you to the nearest Tesco store, you can thing click on 'Find products in this store', and search for any product they stock in that store.

It will tell you the aisle number, how may units along the isle, and how many shelves up from the floor the exact product is. It will also tell you if that product is on offer, and what the offer is.
I use tesco.com a lot - am waiting for them to bring out an iphone app to allow me to create an order as.
There are times when we are out we think we need to get something and I usualy set myself a rminder -would be nice to just fire up th 'ol iPhone and add it there.
jay

nidave wrote:
jay wrote:I have found the single most impressive/useful App so far.

I use tesco.com a lot - am waiting for them to bring out an iphone app to allow me to create an order as.
There are times when we are out we think we need to get something and I usualy set myself a rminder -would be nice to just fire up th 'ol iPhone and add it there.
Tesco seem very commited to the future development of this App - looking at the Tesco Tech Blog which is linked to from the App Store itself I noticed the following post:
FRIDAY, 6 NOVEMBER 2009
Barcode scanning for iPhone - anyone help?
Regular readers will know about our desire to take Tesco Finder, our store & product finding app for iPhone, on a journey where we will add new innovative features and functions based on customer feedback.

One of these functions is to use the iPhone's camera to perform barcode scanning. An innovative solution comes from Red Laser who have their own application demonstrating the technology.

However, we've uncovered that Red Laser use some 'hidden' iPhone API calls to make their technology work, and that some other applications using their libraries to add barcode-scanning functionality have, I understand, had their apps rejected by Apple as a result.

This blog now gets accessed by just over 2,000 different IP addresses a day (mostly over RSS) - so I'm putting it to work to find an organisation who provides iPhone barcode scanning with 'legal' API calls that could help us.

It would be great for any organisation who provides a barcode scanning library for iPhone to get in touch with me with a view to deploying their work in Tesco Finder - and you can be sure that if it works we'll loudly proclaim your name as well as 'open doors' for you.

The only caveat is that your library must only use published iPhone/Cocoa-Touch API calls and not in any way try and use hacked internal knowledge of iPhone.

If your organisation doesn't do this but you know someone who does also please get in touch.

To contact me:
Email me at [email protected] (which has a larger storage capacity than my work email!)
Call our new Tesco.com R&D Ideas In Confidence phone/fax line which is (UK) 07092 192022, (World) +44 7092 192022.

POSTED BY NICK LANSLEY AT 09:02 4 COMMENTS
LABELS: BARCODE, TESCO, TESCO API, TESCO FINDER
It also mentions that they are going to be implementing "Favourites" - linked from your Tesco.com account. One to watch, this App, I feel.