Generic vacuum cleaner recommendation

Sput

So mine's kicked the bucket, well I kicked the power switch which then snapped and the hoover is rather old. Anyhoo I thought I might take the opportunity to buy a new one! Anyone care to make a recommendation? Apart from Hyma. He keeps trying to make me spend £160 on a Dyson and I can't fathom why anyone would spend so much on one.
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Nothing sucks like an Electrolux.
Nick Harvey
God

I have to say that Dysons are extremely good at cleaning, but I don't think they're good value for money.

Even with shopping around and special offers, you're going to pay more of a premium over an 'average' brand than the extra quality is actually worth.

You probably still can't beat Hoover for best value for money.

I'm also interested in other comments as I'm thinking about one as a Christmas present for 'er indoors.
tvmercia

Nick Harvey wrote:I'm also interested in other comments as I'm thinking about one as a Christmas present for 'er indoors.
and who said romance was dead :)
Sput

Oh and I should also point out that only one room in my flat has carpet, the rest is all late 90s laminate floor. The one I'm replacing is an electrolux and I rather liked its variable speed
Knight knight
scottishtv

I went through this process recently when I moved flat. Ended up going for a Which? recommended Miele cylinder. It's fantastic and has different settings for floor types/curtains/soft furnishings etc.
Nick Harvey
God

tvmercia wrote:and who said romance was dead
Thought that might provoke a comment.

It's become an odd sort of tradition here. The current Dyson, now knackered, was an aniversary present many years ago.

As someone once said, "romance is in the art of surprise", so what better surprise than a vacuum cleaner as a present for your wife?
Gavin Scott
Admin

I like my Henry by NuMark.

Bloody powerful wee thing.

Nick - many years ago, before they had children, my dad asked my mum what she'd like for Christmas. She jokingly said, "oh just a packet of cigarettes", and that's what he bought her.

She's *still* talking about it.
jay

I'd always go for a Dyson, they have great suction.

(No matter how many times I tried to re-word that sentence it always came out looking and sounding very dodgy!)
Twitter: @jasonbetts
cwathen

scottishtv wrote:I went through this process recently when I moved flat. Ended up going for a Which? recommended Miele cylinder. It's fantastic and has different settings for floor types/curtains/soft furnishings etc.
We sell Miele products at work, a couple of years ago there was a staff promotion where you got points for selling their products which could be exchanged for vouchers or Miele appliances. I traded most of mine in for a top of the range Miele Revolution Powerplus 5000 vacuum cleaner. Excellent machine, with it's HEPA filtration, electrically powered floorhead and uber-powerful motor (2200 watts of it) - and of course the best bit of all, that the floorhead has a headlight on it so you can vacuum in the dark!

There is a big price tag to get your head around (mine would have cost £350 if I'd have bought it, and you need to shell out around £200 to get a mid-range 'Cat & Dog' or 'Solution' model, but I can't recommend them enough. Brilliant machines, built to last. If cylinders aren't your thing, Miele do now have a range of uprights aswell.
Sput

Well I refer you to my finding £160 as insane :)
Knight knight