Google Wave

Gavin Scott
Admin

marksi wrote:Right, I'm on Google Wave (thank you Simon! :)) . Now what do I do with it?
Yes, umm... I couldn't work that out either, so I looked at it then logged off.

Isn't it just like an IM program?

What's its USP?
cat

This whole thing completely baffles me. It seems like a cross between IM, email, and document collaboration.

Thing is, if like me you work for an organisation that lives, breathes, eats, and frequently dies Microsoft then you already have all of this - Communicator, Outlook, Live Office, or Office Live or whatever the fuck it is. I know mostly it just involves me going through things in typing in red 'why the fuck have you put this in?'

It seems like another Google craze for no reason.

I still think Gmail is shit. Never figured it out.
marksi

Gmail did take me a while to get used to but now I think it's fab. It is worth sticking with.
Pete

cat wrote:I still think Gmail is shit. Never figured it out.
I do love gmail still, think once you get the hang of it it's great. Battling with the replies and tiny mailbox size in the uni's groupwise installation reminds me of how poor other email systems can be.

As for wave however, it does appear to be rather pointless. It's like a mix of gmail and etherpad but with less class than either. It also appears to be far less powerful than onenote which if I was in a big corporate type thing I'd prob want to use for collaboration rather than this. Also the fact you basically have nobody to talk to when you first sign up means it seems even worse than it probably is. Stupid google.

oh and welcome back btw, try not to leave another two years between your next post :P
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cat

Well I have exceeded your expectations already. Here I am again.

We have Onenote and Office Live Workspace but honestly I can't be arsed using either. We mostly just print everything out, meet for coffee, and change everything face to face. Much more productive and the caffeine helps with concentration.

The only Google thing I like is Google Chrome, which would be perfect if it had Google Bookmarks. So I suppose I like two Google things.
timgraham

Hymagumba wrote:
cat wrote:I still think Gmail is shit. Never figured it out.
I do love gmail still, think once you get the hang of it it's great. Battling with the replies and tiny mailbox size in the uni's groupwise installation reminds me of how poor other email systems can be.
Apparently I now get to enjoy the best of both worlds, my uni has declared that they'll now be using Google for their email and a few other things.

As for Google Wave, it's quite a neat gimmick but I think they still need to take the rough edges off it a bit. Which is probably why it's so difficult to get a hold of an invite. Hell knows, it might even be one of those things like Twitter where its users define what it is a lot more than the people who made it.

It looks like it's targeted at a work kind of environment but I'm not exactly sure how such a group is meant to disentangle themselves from Microsoft products.
marksi

cat wrote:The only Google thing I like is Google Chrome, which would be perfect if it had Google Bookmarks. So I suppose I like two Google things.
Download the latest Chrome beta (which includes a Bookmarks sync across multiple machines option) at the link below... http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/chrome/beta/
rts

Got my invite! Cheers Simon. singhrt [at] googlewave.com

Now, time for a browse...
cat

marksi - I got a Macbook :)

I have the beta Chrome for Mac but to be honest firefox is so quick on my laptop that I don't need Chrome. I only use it at work. Although bizarrely I have ended up with four computers - two at work, a work laptop, and a home laptop. So most of the time I don't know what I'm on and where I'm on it.

All I ever need is Outlook, Word, and Excel. Or Mail, Pages, and Numbers. Or Outlook Web Access, Writer, and Calc. Oh and Mathematica.

I need to lie down.
j0nn13

I have 8 invites - first 8 to PM me can have them...

Jonnie :)
Chie

I have 7 invites.