The Official Windows 7 Thread

Pete

So who has actually bought the thing? I took advantage of the student offer and got Pro for £39 :)

Naturally this involved a download however due to the wisdom of either Microsoft or Digital River, they distributed this not as an ISO but as a ghastly rubbish download manager that pulled down two .box files that then unpacked themselves into a big folder on your desktop. This then utterly refused to do anything as I was in the apparently preposterous position of wanting to go from Vista 32bit to 7 64bit.

Persistence, some command prompt goodness and installing it from a USB stick finally got everything smoothed out though. I'm glad I spent the extra few quid on the DVD :)

Anyways I'm loving it, it's so fast and snappy compared to Vista and the main niggle I had back at the RC (re: my sound card) appeared to fix itself when I was not looking as suddenly the appropriate creative panels appeared and worked flawlessly.

My favourite thing however has to be the icon it has assigned to my printer about ten seconds after I installed it

woo at that :D
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Beep

It should be free for those of us that had to put up with Vista.

Love the printer icon thing.
marksi

I've been running the release candidate on my desktop machine for a few months and found it reliable so bought two copies of Home Premium on Amazon for £44 each. Have installed one copy on my laptop with no problem. Will replace the release candidate on the desktop machine in the next few days.
Pete

Beep wrote:It should be free for those of us that had to put up with Vista.
given the various discounts available it practically is
Nick Harvey
God

Are there any discounts on the Pro version for pensioners?

There ought to be. After all, I might become an Obit Thread soon and not need to use it for very long.
Dr Lobster*

i'm finding the new task bar quite nice and aero peek, which it thought was just another gimmick like flip3d is also quite useful. search is also much improved and much faster, less drive crunching so far.

still in the process of transferring my data from an old drive. a clean install doesn't seem to be too different in responsiveness to xp, but i haven't got all my apps on yet so it will be interesting to see how much this slows things down.

i've always been sure to disable any unnecessary services and remove any crap added to start up which isn't necessary.

there is only one thing annoying me at the moment, and that's the removal of the media player toolbar... i thought this was quite a streamlined way to skip and play through my music. i'm sure i'll get used to the new way.
martindtanderson

Hover over the media player icon and the preview gives you your play pause and skip buttons...
Dr Lobster*

thanks martin, that's a bit better.

anybody care to post their windows experience index?

not bad for a pc purchased in 2006.
Pete

again a 2006 machine. I am considering getting a new graphics card but they're so confusing these days.
Sput

I don't think this conveys quite the message that Dixons intended.
Knight knight
martindtanderson

My Windows 7 Ultimate is in the post (yea I know...) but this is my Experience index running build 7100