Old Supermarkets(/buildings)

cdd

The other day I went to a great 'old' Tesco: Tesco in Wembley, London. Now I looked for ages on Google Images for a photo (and failed), which is a shame as it's quite a sight. Clearly constructed in the late 80s / early 90s, it sports the old logo on the exterior and clearly hasn't been renovated since: it had an old fashioned entrance, that old 'covered walkway' down the centre that used to go from the car park to the store (so you could go in the rain without getting wet - how thoughtful!), and a totally different style of 'overhead aisle product lists' - and the aisles were even arranged in a different way.

It was like stepping back in time - it's amazing how you don't realise these changes going on and they only hit you when you suddenly go to a store like that one! That must have been the first unrenovated large Tesco I have been to in years.

Does anyone else know of any 'nostagia time capsules' - buildings of large companies/chains that haven't been brought into the 21st Century?
Ebeneezer Scrooge

cdd wrote:The other day I went to a great 'old' Tesco: Tesco in Wembley, London. Now I looked for ages on Google Images for a photo (and failed), which is a shame as it's quite a sight.
This one?
Snarky
Chie

cdd

That's the one!
nwtv2003

Ebeneezer Scrooge wrote:
cdd wrote:The other day I went to a great 'old' Tesco: Tesco in Wembley, London. Now I looked for ages on Google Images for a photo (and failed), which is a shame as it's quite a sight.
This one?
They had one in Irlam, Greater Manchester that used to look like that, but it got pulled down and replaced with a larger Tesco Extra about 7 or 8 years ago. Can't think of any old-ish looking shops in Warrington, the town's biggest Asda was built in the late 1980's, the whole area looks very later 1980's, but hasn't aged too badly. Sainsburys looked like it was from the 1970's until they renovated the whole place about 10 years ago.

Tesco in Runcorn had all of it's 1970's interior until last year when they changed it into a Tesco Metro, but that store is in a Mall which itself looks like it hasn't changed since the 1970's.
steve
Beep

Tesco Shirley (By Nottcutts, not on the Stratford Road) used to look like that. They built an extra floor for it but kept the signage.
Andrew Wood

Beep wrote:Tesco Shirley (By Nottcutts, not on the Stratford Road) used to look like that. They built an extra floor for it but kept the signage.
That's Tesco Extra Solihull - even though it's at Monkspath in Shirley. I knows, you know and they haven't got any old signage. It was redone in the re-fit.
Nick Harvey
God

Solihull, you must be joking.

(Sorry, just couldn't resist.)
Andrew Wood

Yes somewhat misplaced, name-wise.

However, don't knock Solihull - I was born there (and it was still Warwickshire back then!)
Billy

That Wembley Tesco has been my local for almost 15 years!

I'd say it's actually got older-looking inside since then...back in the late 1990s there was a huge video screen (made up of lots of little tellies) on the wall showing the latest Simpsons video or whatever, except in silence so you couldn't hear it. That and headphone stands so you could listen to the latest CDs, at the turn of the millennium though they got rid of it all and replaced it with boring rows of shelves. They built an ASDA closer to home about ten years ago though so I generally use that instead.

Next time you're in Wembley check out the Primark. Big old logos everywhere and huge pictures over the aisles of people with big hair dressed in the latest 1980s fashions. Saying that, they could be new pictures due to the 80s revival...
Beep

Andrew Wood wrote:
Beep wrote:Tesco Shirley (By Nottcutts, not on the Stratford Road) used to look like that. They built an extra floor for it but kept the signage.
That's Tesco Extra Solihull - even though it's at Monkspath in Shirley. I knows, you know and they haven't got any old signage. It was redone in the re-fit.
Aww. I swear it was still there.

Didn't they have a temporary shop during the refit?