It's All In The Name

Philip

Jovis wrote:Why? Well we all know that 'the new Plenty name was chosen as it is a great way of reminding people about how versatile the UK's leading household towel is! The new name is a great chance for us to give Plenty a boost and show our customers just how useful it can be when used in and around the home - from mopping up spills in the kitchen or car, to cleaning the bathroom, or even as a handy napkin for picnics and BBQs. Whilst the name is changing, you can be sure that Plenty will still deliver excellent performance and value for money, with the same great strength and absorbency that people rely on.'
...and that the people who bought Bounty off P&G had to change the name!
Chie

Ilkeston Co-op Travel to Midlands Co-op Travel.

No doubt they'll completely debase the brand one day and just change it to 'UK Co-op Travel'.
tvmercia

Chie wrote:Ilkeston Co-op Travel to Midlands Co-op Travel.

No doubt they'll completely debase the brand one day and just change it to 'UK Co-op Travel'.
why? midlands co-op travel is part of the midlands co-operative society, not the manchester based co-operative group.

although midlands co-operative have adopted the unified co-operative movement brand, their businesses remain quite separate.
Rob Del Monte

Nini wrote:It's significantly more complex and labyrinthine if you choose to take it back to the beginnings of pay cable TV in the UK, for me that'd be 1995. So, for me we'd be looking at:

Jones Cable Network (lasted no time, gone before the roads were dug up, wish I had the half hour promo tape still) => Bell Cablemedia => Cable and Wireless => NTL (about here is where the magic ended for me) => ntl:home => ntl:Telewest => Virgin Media

Taking into account all the various local networks and how each got eaten up during the 90s through to the early 00s it's an odd chain, gets much worse if you bring local cablevision into the equation.
You could argue (albeit, very loosely):

Independent Television Authority => Independent Broadcasting Authority => National Transcommunications Limited => NTL Incorporated => NTL:Telewest => Virgin Media

However, NTL Inc. (shortly after CableTel's rename) sold the 'National Transcommunication Limited' assets to Macquarie Communications Infrastructure Group, who renamed them Arqiva.

ALSO:

Brymon Aviation Limited => Brymon Airways => British Airways Citiexpress => BA Connect => (Flybe takeover*)

*OH YEAH:

Intra Airways => Jersey European (corporately Walker Aviation Group) => British European => Flybe

I THINK ALSO:

ATV => Central Independent Television
(whilst it cosmetically appears that ATV lost their franchise to Central, I think in actuality ATV renamed to 'Central' to be more regional, to keep their contract, satisfying the IBA—though perhaps I'm wrong.) I'd say that that was a successful name change.

ALSO:

Southwestern Bell Communications => SBC => AT&T Inc. (cf. AT&T Corp.)

The break-up of AT&T into the regional Bell operator companies and recent re-consolidation is more confusing than the story of ITV's consolidation!
tvmercia wrote:
Chie wrote:Ilkeston Co-op Travel to Midlands Co-op Travel.

why? midlands co-op travel is part of the midlands co-operative society, not the manchester based co-operative group.

although midlands co-operative have adopted the unified co-operative movement brand, their businesses remain quite separate.
ITV: take note ;)!
PS.: I don't actually think that ITV should by like the Co-oporative movement: just a quip remark
Rob Del Monte
Why do people say “Quad bike” and “Double prime”—it is like saying a “three-sided square”, oh wait they do, “Tri-square”?!
Beep

British Midland Airways > bmibaby

UKTV G2 > Dave (forgive me if it has been mentioned.)
Gavin Scott
Admin

Beep wrote:British Midland Airways > bmibaby
Its just BMI. bmibaby is their low cost division.
James H

Beep wrote:British Midland Airways > bmibaby
Not strictly true. British Midland Airways exists as 'bmi' nowadays, whereas 'bmibaby' is an offshoot of bmi's service.

The actual chain goes:

Derby Aviation Ltd; British Midland Airways; British Midland; BMI British Midland; bmi + bmibaby

In turn:

British Mediterranean Airways; bmibaby

and

Business Air; BMI Regional; bmi Regional
DAS

Rob Del Monte wrote:
Nini wrote:It's significantly more complex and labyrinthine if you choose to take it back to the beginnings of pay cable TV in the UK, for me that'd be 1995. So, for me we'd be looking at:

Jones Cable Network (lasted no time, gone before the roads were dug up, wish I had the half hour promo tape still) => Bell Cablemedia => Cable and Wireless => NTL (about here is where the magic ended for me) => ntl:home => ntl:Telewest => Virgin Media

Taking into account all the various local networks and how each got eaten up during the 90s through to the early 00s it's an odd chain, gets much worse if you bring local cablevision into the equation.
You could argue (albeit, very loosely):

Independent Television Authority => Independent Broadcasting Authority => National Transcommunications Limited => NTL Incorporated => NTL:Telewest => Virgin Media

However, NTL Inc. (shortly after CableTel's rename) sold the 'National Transcommunication Limited' assets to Macquarie Communications Infrastructure Group, who renamed them Arqiva.
I remember when I got cable it came from United Artists before they turned into Telewest Communications. Looking at Wikipedia, even that little bit has a complex history and therefore long history of names: Began as Croydon Cable. Acquired by American company United Cable and then merged with United Artists Cable International. They merged with TCI, who then merged with US West to become Telewest Communications.

Also reading that Wikipedia article reminds me of my original e-mail domain @cableinet.co.uk. Aaaah.
DVB Cornwall

Guess who spent five minutes looking for a certain brand of Kitchen Towel this afternoon in Sainsbury........

Should have kept up with the content of this thread I suppose. :lol:
cdd

Do the new ads go "P-p-p-p Plenty" then?
Philip

Travel Inn >> Premier Travel Inn >> Premier Inn
Premier Lodge >>

And on that note, I haven't stayed in a Premier Inn hotel (motel?) since they were called Travel Inn; those were good times. Since then, I've only been to Travelodge and Express by Holiday Inn hotels, and one next to Wembley Stadium that I can't remember the name of (went on with trip). This summer will be the first time in a while I'll be staying in a Premier Inn, because we're skint of cash for our normal holiday to our family villa (as well as a burglary scare anyway) and I don't really trust Travelodge anymore, not since I learned about their 'overbooking' policy. I don't want to come in to a hotel at 10pm at night finding out that somebody else is already in my pre-booked room on credit card! And, they had an offer on.