Is the Scottish Express even worse than the Mail?

Sput

I just got sent this link to an article (sorry it's a picture of it)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurie_pin ... 6/sizes/l/

Apparently it's been taken down now, but it's basically going on about the "Sick" facebook profiles of kids that survived Dunblane. "Sick" in this case being speak of drinking, getting tattoos and shagging people. Now, I don't think I've come across this publication before so maybe our more scottish-inclined people can shed some light on it, but is this paper even worse than the Daily Mail? I can't believe how out of line they are in this reporting. There's nothing illegal, nothing immoral or even vaguely in the public interest in a story like this and they seem to be a self-appointed moral guardian. And we all know how I hate a self-appointed moral guardian who is out of line!
Knight knight
marksi

I sometimes wonder what the role of a newspaper editor is and what they were thinking when an article like that is published (never mind the person who thought it a story and spent time writing it).

Exactly what point is it trying to make? It should probably be given out to journalism students on their first day as an example of what not to aim for.

There appears to be some kind of thought that these teenagers - behaving exactly as teenagers do - should in fact be different. In what way they're expected to be different I really don't know.

It is an entirely unjustified and pointless article.

If my name was in that piece I'd be looking for the journalist and editor's sackings and wouldn't rest until I got them. I wouldn't be looking for compensation, I'd be out for their heads on a plate.

EDIT: The Press Complaints Commission is investigating.

EDIT AGAIN: This blogger sums it up excellently, part of which is below. http://www.apathysketchpad.com/blog/200 ... oid-limbo/
The Express have since deleted the story from their website, which could be taken to mean that since receiving all those complaints they’ve realised how contemptible the article was, except… what really angers me about this whole thing is how pre-meditated it all is. Bad journalism as a result of ignorance or incompetence is one thing. Laziness is a bit worse but still basically forgivable, but this could only happen if people set out to do bad journalism. This isn’t something Murray happened on and misinterpreted; this is something she has engineered. She went sniffing around the personal lives of innocent people looking for something she could frame as a scandal. It makes me wonder how long she sat on it waiting for that magical birthday that transformed the last of these people from Innocent Child Victims to Celebrities.

It is perhaps the single worst piece of journalism I’ve ever read.
Nini
Banned

Seems simple enough, get people riled up about a story which is a balloon filled with the hot air of something just about related to the big rock of emotion tying it down. The balloon isn't the big deal, the rock is but the balloon is attached to it and the fact you remind people of the rock it brings back the same raw emotions because somehow the balloon is pissing on the rock.
marksi

One other thing.

THIS WAS ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE SUNDAY EXPRESS. The front fucking page.

Ooooh I'm cross.
Pete

Sput wrote:Now, I don't think I've come across this publication before so maybe our more scottish-inclined people can shed some light on it, but is this paper even worse than the Daily Mail?
it's actually just the scottish edition of the daily express (80% the same but with more slant on SPL football etc). they hype up their scottishness to try and shift more copies.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Mich

Nini
Banned

I didn't get through most of that blog post, started veering off into two wrongs make a self-righteous right territory.
Mich

Nini wrote:I didn't get through most of that blog post, started veering off into two wrongs make a self-righteous right territory.
That isn't entirely unfair, but I think there are a few key differences.

IMHO the blog is purely a response to her article and exists to question her professional integrity rather than moralising about her life. The tone is rather tongue in cheek, extrapolating every day activity into scandal - mocking her own article. It admits to being selective, unfair, intrusive, it doesn't quote an MP out of context and it wasn't published on the front page of a national newspaper.
Nini
Banned

Damn you satire, you win again.
cdd

I would like to give this woman the benefit of the doubt, for being unfamiliar with the internet or out of touch with youth or something... but the fact she is clearly an advanced Facebook user, combined with her less-than-pristine lifestyle, really does suggest it's a premeditated attack rather than a genuine bout of journalistic outrage (the latter I could appreciate a bit more since we're all human). The fact this story found its way onto the front page is amazing, and it shows just how many people were complicit in the whole thing - it's clearly the 'party line' of the paper. It's a "good story" if you don't mind attacking perfectly innocent people for no good reason.

I wonder if she has kids, because if so, she'll be in for one hell of a surprise.
marksi

In other news of shockingly bad "journalism", OK Magazine has published an "official tribute issue 1981-2009" for Jade Goody when she is not dead. Strapline: "In Loving Memory".