Windows 7

cdd

I've always found the Home editions of windows are a snare and a delusion, they miss out things that geeky people like Metropol users would like such as Group Policy editor (nice for tweaking little things - like graying out buttons in Windows programs etc) and also things like Vista's Previous Versions. There were other annoying differences through the years, the taskkill.exe command line app for example was only available in XP Pro, anything else had to use the rather pathetic tskill.exe which did not seem as effective.

Personally I thiknk they should give this versions thing a miss (or if they must, maybe only selling Home Edition as OEM), it doesn't do them any favours and just ends up being a stick to beat them with.
Neil Jones wrote:I dare say if previous activation processes are followed (since realistically there's nothing MS can do about it), there'd be nothing to stop you using one licence on dozens of computers if you just activate each one by phone.
Wasn't Windows genuine advantage meant to start moaning on the deactivated machine after a few weeks of you having done that? personally I prefer the slmgr -rearm ploy, I re-install windows about once a month anyway so 90 days is fine for me :)
Sput

There are a couple of things lacking from home premium, most notably for me is remote desktop host, so it's VNC for me.
Knight knight
Dr Lobster*

a few years ago, i might have rushed out and pre-ordered.

today, i can't be bothered.

windows is my operating system, i don't really 'use' windows in the true sense of the word to do anything, i use applications like photoshop, firefox, office, and delphi.

those things look and work the same on windows 7. file and folder management is fundamentally the same since windows nt 4.

windows xp has desktop search, it works fine.

i just don't get it.
Neil Jones

davidmcg wrote:Is the pre-order price cheaper than the price it is going to be after release? Think I heard something like that before but I'm not too sure. Any ideas?
The pre-order price is the full version. If you got it quick enough it was going for £45, Home Premium E, a bargain considering Microsoft want £170 for it. Realistically an OEM copy is roughly about the same price if not a little bit more. XP Home OEM is currently, if you shop around a bit, about £65. Windows 7 will probably be around that sort of area give or take.

Anyway if you buy bucketloads of OEM Windows 7 licences, it'll be cheaper anyway to the big manufacturers who will get through them like there's no tomorrow, as opposed to Joe Bloggs who'll realistically only need one or two, not thousands.
cdd wrote:I've always found the Home editions of windows are a snare and a delusion, they miss out things that geeky people like Metropol users would like such as Group Policy editor (nice for tweaking little things - like graying out buttons in Windows programs etc) and also things like Vista's Previous Versions.
You could copy the Group Policy Editor file from an XP Pro installation and it will work happily on an XP Home system. Most if not all tweaks available in GPE are available online by editing the registry manually.

Previous Versions was a nice idea but I'm glad it only turned up in the higher-end editions of Vista and not Home Basic/Premium where I'm sure it would generate copious support calls from thick people who select it accidentally.
Neil Jones wrote:I dare say if previous activation processes are followed (since realistically there's nothing MS can do about it), there'd be nothing to stop you using one licence on dozens of computers if you just activate each one by phone.
Wasn't Windows genuine advantage meant to start moaning on the deactivated machine after a few weeks of you having done that? personally I prefer the slmgr -rearm ploy, I re-install windows about once a month anyway so 90 days is fine for me :)
Genuine Advantage limits key "enhancements" to those people with genuine licences and product keys and only flags up a handful anyway. Such "enhancements" include Windows Defender, Media Player 11 and the majority of downloads, add-ons and occasionally useless crap that Microsoft think you might want.

Genuine Advantage will not flag up the fact that you're using one key on multiple computers, it has no way of knowing that. "slmgr -rearm" is not applicable to XP. Once activated, usually a Windows PC stays activated unless you screw it up, wipe it, occasionally after you repair it or change enough hardware to force an activation. While you theoretically can deactivate a machine, there's no real reason to.
Sput

Well, WGA does have a way of wearing you down (so I've heard ;)). One thing I really miss coming from a Mac back to XP is the lack of decent window manipulation and 7 has good stuff in droves. Also XP's wifi has always been dreadful and 7's is vastly superior, as is the way that sharing stuff across networks is less of a black art in Windows 7. On top of that, I find the search in windows 7 to bog down the cpu a LOT less than in xp.

The calculation for me is that it makes my pc that much more like a Mac as to be much less aggravating, and if I'd been worried about WGA being all annoying in the past (of course I'm too honest for that) then a legal copy of windows for £45 is a pretty fine upgrade.
Knight knight
Andrew Wood

I've been playing with Windows 7 and have been peed off that my old Logitech mouse isn't recognised as anything other than a bog-standard PS/2 mouse. That means that a click on the middle button isn't recognised as a double click any more (though it does still scroll okay). Logitech doesn't have any driver or software to get around this.

Fortunately, in the midst of time on Win95/98, I used a program called CoolMouse97 that would recognize the middle button and could programme it to do what you wanted. Trying this tonight, I was surprised, pleased, ecstatic, or what you will, that this 12 year old program still actually works on Windows 7! Now my middle button works quite happily as a double click.

Also, my other half's web cam - a Creative PC300 - no longer supported by Creative and essentially bin-fodder according to them, still works - just by installing the XP drivers (and ignoring all the error messages along the way).

I suppose basically what I'm saying is don't give up. Give all options a try and see where you get. Your hardware may yet work even though the manufacturer's web site might give you cause to believe it's time to throw away your gear.
marksi

I've found my printer works fine but the drivers for it are missing the tab that allows me to align/clean print heads - all the maintenance stuff - which is irritating.

Also, I don't seem to be able to access the printer on my XP machine over the network. The printer is connected to the Windows 7 PC.
Pete

I was unable to get my scanner working at all, I had to use vista.

ATI have decided to discontinue my gfx card and their silly installer refuses to install the driver despite the vista one surely working perfectly, also due to another ignorant installer I cannot get the lovely audio mixer program that makes my back speakers to work properly working in it.

Unless there is some way to override these stupid overdesigned driver installers I'll have to put off 7 until i get a new computer in a year or so which is a pity as I really liked it, returning to vista reminded me of all the various problems with its sluggishness and messy UI that were fixed so nicely in 7.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cdd

Now that's interesting Hyma, I've had totally the opposite experince with drivers. I didn't put a single driver disc in, I just went to automatic update and ticked all the Optional driver downloads. It was all automatic and totally seamless.
Pete

oh they installed no trouble at all, standard drivers that is. However I was unable to get the little helper apps such as the creative mixer program to work properly with it,
"He has to be larger than bacon"
marksi

Hyma - I had problems with my graphics card too... it wouldn't install the driver properly until I updated the "SiS Accelerated Graphics Port" driver in Device Manager/System Devices. I updated that (right click, Update Driver Software then let it find a driver itself) and then tried to update the driver for the graphics card.

That worked.