No more inefficent plasma screens

Sput

I KNOW HOW TO DO AN AREA MEASUREMENT THANKYOUVERYMUCH

You said per *inch*. Do you mean per *square inch*? It's hard enough dealing with your antiquated measurement units ;)
Knight knight
Sput

Well that's the original basis for my confusion! Gav said W/diode/inch so I don't know what's happening. 0.3W for one LED seems high, particularly for one so small considering how efficient they are. Per square inch seems to be the one to go with.
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Oh you silly boys.

The LCD screen is made up of pixels and is rear lit by an array of LED diodes which are positioned every 1" square, so as to illuminate the entire screen area evenly. Like a grid.

The 1" I mentioned is a nominal measurement, based on what I used to deal with in the entertainment industry - it may be that they are more or less densely packed, and it may also be that they are using more efficient luxeon LED diodes.

In any event, its a lot of light required to punch through the screen - which is fairly thick and not 100% transparent.
marksi

I've just read the following on MediaGuardian:
Exactly one year ago, the Daily Mail offered its readers two free energy-saving lightbulbs.

Last week, following a headline that it was "the end of light as we know it" and a story about retailers agreeing to ditch traditional and "beloved" bulbs for more expensive, low-energy ones, the paper was at it again. Only this time the lightbulbs were of the incandescent variety.

After "unprecedented public demand" for the 5,000 traditional bulbs the paper had obtained, the Mail offered five free 100w light bulbs for every reader in return for 12 tokens and 1.63 for postage.
Gavin Scott
Admin

marksi wrote:I've just read the following on MediaGuardian:
Exactly one year ago, the Daily Mail offered its readers two free energy-saving lightbulbs.

Last week, following a headline that it was "the end of light as we know it" and a story about retailers agreeing to ditch traditional and "beloved" bulbs for more expensive, low-energy ones, the paper was at it again. Only this time the lightbulbs were of the incandescent variety.

After "unprecedented public demand" for the 5,000 traditional bulbs the paper had obtained, the Mail offered five free 100w light bulbs for every reader in return for 12 tokens and 1.63 for postage.
Well the jokes on them - the only ones still in manufacture are from China, and the tungsten is so impure they last no time at all.

That'll only serve to convince the readers that long lasting is better.
Sput

Gavin Scott wrote:Oh you silly boys.

The LCD screen is made up of pixels and is rear lit by an array of LED diodes which are positioned every 1" square, so as to illuminate the entire screen area evenly. Like a grid.

The 1" I mentioned is a nominal measurement, based on what I used to deal with in the entertainment industry - it may be that they are more or less densely packed, and it may also be that they are using more efficient luxeon LED diodes.
I still blame gav for his *WACKY* units :) I see now, it's per diode or per square inch. It also makes sense that you'd need more power what with them being white lamps.

And go on, admit it, I BET you had made a typo when you wrote "luxeon"!

And marksi: what, the daily mail being inconsistent? I for one am SHOCKED
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Sput wrote:And go on, admit it, I BET you had made a typo when you wrote "luxeon"!
Indeed I didn't.

One is bright, requires no effort or faffing, and will illuminate whatever it shines its light on.

The other is not.
marksi

Just measured the consumption of my 37" Panasonic and it was 230 watts, or 2.3 DMFLs*.

*Daily Mail Offer Lightbulbs.
iSon

You can now find all the lightbulb talk at http://www.metropol247.co.uk/forum/view ... 17&start=0

And Sput...you're an ass.
Good Lord!
rts

Sony demo of their new ultra-thin OLED television.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/02/07 ... 1_oled_tv/
Pete

my old digital camera years ago had an OLED screen and it was amazing. Such a stunning image compared to every LCD one I've had since. I do hope they are able to get the prices down and sizes up soon, its a screen technology I find far superior to plasma and LCD
"He has to be larger than bacon"