Sorely tempted to

DVB Cornwall

Start a thread in the usual places about the Licence fee, advocating that guilty non payers on a second offence have their licencable equipment removed from their premises and destroyed.

If it's possible with motor vehicles why not Television Receiving equipment, TV's, Video Recording Gear, PC's used for TV viewing, Satellite, Cable and DTT boxes.,

Some might pay if that was the threat.

Might not make me the most popular od posters though....
LaSeandre

I believe that this is a very good idea, as you say, it is already done with car tax offenders, so why not TV License dodgers?
Nini
Banned

Oh, that would be an interesting conversation to have, it will digress back to the validity of even having a TV license inevitably before being locked after a flamewar starts but all in all I'd bet it to be intriguing.
LaSeandre

Ooh, forgot about that whole debacle, seeing as I don't have to pay for one (live with my parents, don'cha know). Although I don't see why we need to have one after DSO.
wells

Such a law would be really quite damaging to the license the fee, which many feel is outdated already, this would just about tip public opinion over to the point where it was largely opposed to the fee.
Spencer For Hire

wells wrote:Such a law would be really quite damaging to the license the fee, which many feel is outdated already, this would just about tip public opinion over to the point where it was largely opposed to the fee.
Given that you can currently receive a £1000 fine or even a prison sentence for non-payment, I think as an alternative punishment, this idea would be much fairer and would fit the crime better.
Sput

Auctioning off the gear would make more sense than outright destruction, then they could claim the money is channelled back into the fee.
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Spencer For Hire wrote:
wells wrote:Such a law would be really quite damaging to the license the fee, which many feel is outdated already, this would just about tip public opinion over to the point where it was largely opposed to the fee.
Given that you can currently receive a £1000 fine or even a prison sentence for non-payment, I think as an alternative punishment, this idea would be much fairer and would fit the crime better.
Has anyone EVER gone to prison for non-payment of the Fee, or is it one of those propaganda pieces churned out by the collection agency?

Whilst you can go to prison for debt in England and Wales, you CANNOT be put in jail in Scotland for the same.
Spencer For Hire

Gavin Scott wrote:Has anyone EVER gone to prison for non-payment of the Fee, or is it one of those propaganda pieces churned out by the collection agency?

Whilst you can go to prison for debt in England and Wales, you CANNOT be put in jail in Scotland for the same.
Don't know, but there is some irony in that prisoners are exempt from paying the TV licence.