Who's for the chop?

Sput

DVB Cornwall wrote:Don't forget WHS' Hospital operations too.
I didn't even know it was ill!

*Boom boom*
Knight knight
Nini
Banned

Boooo.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Scotmid seems to have empty shelves up here (in Edinburgh, at any rate).

All over the store there are signs saying that, "A problem in our supply chain means we're unable to bring you fresh food until Monday".

Hmmm. I thought their supply chain was CWS themselves.
James Hatts

MattM wrote:WHSmith recently teamed up with SSP to open five stores in Copenhagen airport
I was interested/surprised to see last week that the SSP Pumpkin outlet at Bournemouth Railway Station is now co-branded as a WHS shop.
marksi

Bang goes Empire Direct.
iSon

marksi wrote:Bang goes Empire Direct.
I'm surprised and a little saddened. They had some great deals available to buy in store on some stuff - you couldn't get it as cheap on ebay. However other stuff just wasn't competitive.

Anyway, being the vulture I am I will no doubt be raiding the local store in its closing down sales.
Good Lord!
cdd

I'm actually surrpised it closed down - it seemed to have a solid business model. I guess it just wasn't doing enough business.
Nini
Banned

Isonstine wrote:Anyway, being the vulture I am I will no doubt be raiding the local store in its closing down sales.
According to the notice on their website, seems that due to their low stock and other problems they can't even stay open during administration so no sale for you sonny.
Pete

Hymagumba wrote:Personally, I suspect Clinton Cards and/or birthdays might go. they're both useless shops.
Birthdays chain in administration
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8060868.stm

Retailer Clinton Cards has put its subsidiary chain of 223 Birthdays stores into administration, putting more than 2,000 jobs at risk.

The company said the Birthdays outlets would continue to trade while options to secure their future were explored. The news saw Clinton's shares rise 30%.

Clinton said that in the current economic environment it could not sustain Birthdays' £7m annual losses.
yay
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Sput

Why the hell does Clinton own Birthdays anyway? Is it a recent acquisition? At one point in Manchester there was a Birthday and a Clinton next to it.
Knight knight
nwtv2003

I was quite shocked to see when I was in Liverpool earlier that Zavvi is STILL open, albeit known as Head, basically they've still got loads of stock to sell, most of it was pretty damn cheap. I asked the guy on the till and he said they expect to be shut by July, a nice surprise indeed. Is this the case anywhere else?
steve