Notification from Sky about Five

Spencer For Hire

I was surprised to receive a postcard today from Sky saying that Five would be making changes to their service on 8th December "in your area". Apparently this will mean any scheduled recordings for that day or after won't work, and you'll have to re-add any programmes on Five from the afternoon of the 8th.

Does anyone know what they're doing?
lukey

How the fook do satellite channels make changes "in your area"?
Spencer For Hire

I thought that was a bit strange. Although I can't remember if Five broadcast different regional variants for advertising purposes on DSat.
Inspector Sands

Spencer For Hire wrote:I thought that was a bit strange. Although I can't remember if Five broadcast different regional variants for advertising purposes on DSat.
I noticed the other day, while browsing Lyngsat that they have the 4 variants on satellite, I think this is a new thing
Steve in Pudsey

I think they have had these macro regions, much like Channel 4 but including Wales, since launch.
Markymark

Steve in Pudsey wrote:I think they have had these macro regions, much like Channel 4 but including Wales, since launch.
Yes, four 'regions' on analogue terrestrial that are distributed by satellite (not the DTH Astra streams), though they are more dymanic, and one region can just address a single analogue transmitter if need be. However normal config is I think:

Region 1: London
Region 2: Southern (below M62) England and Wales (excl London)
Region 3: Northern England and Scotland
Region 4: NI

I've never been sure whether those regions are replicated with Sky's postcode mapping ? I certainly get Reg 2 on Sky's EPG here in Hampshire.

Or, of course it might just be that the FTV stream(s) that Sky map to Ch 105, are being ditched on Dec 8th and instead the Sky mapping will use the FTA Freesat stream that's on one of the BBC's 2D t/ps ?