MFI and Woolworths

WillPS

Sat 13 Nov, 2010 13.28

Chie wrote:In 1990, Woolworths made an internal presentation inspiring staff to maintain the momentum of Christmas all year round. Opening with an adaptation of the song 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day' reworked with the lyrics 'Every day should be like Christmas at Woolworths', the video features motivational talks by the directors of Woolworths interspersed with optimistic thoughts from staff and customers.

Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzJDhtUk5mA

Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YIq8st5sE
Jeeeeeeeesus!
cwathen

Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03.03

Jeeeeeeeesus!
OMG that brings back memories! I remember the black ADS-Anker tills that they still had until the late 90's. Also quite telling that many/most Woolworths stores still had that shopfit and signeage up to when they closed down 2 years ago - kindof makes you realise how tired they had become, and why it wasn't a complete surprise that they fell.

In the section by the MIS guy I found their shiney new 'back office PCs' which they were rolling out quite interesting - especially when they appeared to be shown generating sales reports and showing stock analysis - how on earth were they managing to do this with no EPOS system at the time? Did some poor soul have to manually enter all this data in so the computer could analyse it??!!??
WillPS

Sun 14 Nov, 2010 10.59

Woolworths was effectively run down by Kingfisher ready for the takeover of ASDA. If that had happened, you'd have got George clothing in every Woolies along with a whole host of other stuff - it would have been a lot more useful in short.

Big W would have seemed a bit less pointless if it had food too.
thegeek

Wed 05 Dec, 2018 12.39

Ten years on, here's what's become of ten East London Woolies:

http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2018/ ... rs-on.html
james2001

Wed 05 Dec, 2018 13.49

cwathen wrote:
Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03.03
Jeeeeeeeesus!
OMG that brings back memories! I remember the black ADS-Anker tills that they still had until the late 90's. Also quite telling that many/most Woolworths stores still had that shopfit and signeage up to when they closed down 2 years ago - kindof makes you realise how tired they had become, and why it wasn't a complete surprise that they fell.
I wanted the neon Music & Video sign they had in the store in Nottingham! Must have been there since the 80s, and was still there right until they closed. If I'd gone down on the last day I'd probably have been able to get it cheap with them selling off he fixtures and fittings too.
Martin Phillp

Mon 17 Dec, 2018 02.42

Woolworths in Peckham kept their 80s 'Record Bar' until the very end.
TVF's London Lite.