MFI and Woolworths

Alexia

Being mended after that unfortunate incident with the Marmite and timgraham's pet gerbil.
iSon

Alexia wrote:We did have one set up, but Ison very stupidly spilt Vimto on it so I'm typing up the new one tomorrow when I get five minutes.
You called?
Good Lord!
Alexia

- Last week but not to worry.

- Que?

- Oh buddah.... look - can you fetch me a hammer?

- Hammer...hammer....oh - a ham-a sandwich!

- No no a hammer!!

- My hamster?

- No not your hamster...how can I hit a nail in with your hamster...well I could try... look I'll get it. You come in here and tidy. You know.. tidy?

- Ah, si si.
nwtv2003

Apparently Woolies are starting their "Closing Down" sale tomorrow in all stores, shame for this to happen, it looks like it could be the final nail in the coffin, although I might go for a look round see if there's the odd bargain. :lol:
steve
lukey

nwtv2003 wrote:Apparently Woolies are starting their "Closing Down" sale tomorrow in all stores, shame for this to happen, it looks like it could be the final nail in the coffin, although I might go for a look round see if there's the odd bargain. :lol:
Is this different from the 50% sale that's been on the last week?
barcode

that up to 50% sale is abit of a lie, many people have been unhappy that there were mislead by not checking the smaller print " UP TO"

This is a great shame if wools go,
marksi

barcode wrote:that up to 50% sale is abit of a lie, many people have been unhappy that there were mislead by not checking the smaller print " UP TO"

This is a great shame if wools go,
They'll be the vultures keen to pick over the carcass.
Sput

Is it a shame though? I mean, obviously in terms of the job losses it is but in the grand scheme it's just a big company that failed to have a coherent idea of what it was for. If no-one used it then I guess no-one will miss it.
Knight knight
lukey

Sput wrote:Is it a shame though? I mean, obviously in terms of the job losses it is but in the grand scheme it's just a big company that failed to have a coherent idea of what it was for. If no-one used it then I guess no-one will miss it.
Yes, it's a very strange thing the way people detatch their romantic perceptions of brands with their actual habits. Suddenly there is sweeping devestation that there will be nowhere to buy 3-packs of ring binders and paper clips by the thousands, simply because there was something vaguely iconic about its mere existence. It reminds me of the whole "ooh, that Tesco" sentiment by the same people who still do their shopping there.
Alexia

lukey wrote: nowhere to buy 3-packs of ring binders and paper clips by the thousands
There's always Smiths, Partners and Staples, I'm not losing much sleep over it!! ;)
marksi

Alexia wrote:
lukey wrote: nowhere to buy 3-packs of ring binders and paper clips by the thousands
There's always Smiths, Partners and Staples, I'm not losing much sleep over it!! ;)
We don't have Partners or Staples over here. We do have Easons, but they recently closed the nearest store to me (which was an NPO Stationers/Bookstore where I used to work 4 billion years ago). There aren't very many branches of WH Smiths in Northern Ireland.