Adverts that irritate and entertain

MarkAshley

Wed 07 Nov, 2018 00.13

I mean that's just uberfab isn't it!

I think what I like most about it is the "go on, sue us" attitude - a bit like the short-lived 'Every Lidl Helps' slogan.
Hairy.
Critique

Wed 05 Dec, 2018 22.12

Quite like some of the bus stop adverts Lidl are doing at the moment, where they've made it look like they've stuck a poster advertising their (cheaper) product over a more expensive one elsewhere. Looks like there's two variants, one which is supposed to be for M&S mince pies, where you can see 'these aren't just any mince pies' like the (fairly old!) adverts, which I think even uses the old font! In the bottom corner you can also see a bit of the '&S'.

The Waitrose version is much less subtle, using the current font and explicitly saying 'Waitrose', presumably as people wouldn't get it otherwise!
scottishtv

Mon 10 Dec, 2018 21.55

Apparently it's the same as last year, but the Thorntons telly ad truly is awful:

Why is a woman that old living at her parents? Are they just meeting up there? Why are they all dressed up? If they are going out, why are they tucking into a box of £7 supermarket chocolates before dinner? Why did he not buy better chocolates? Who is the child? Does anyone think this is in any way romantic?

Fair to say, it irritates me a lot.
MarkAshley

Tue 11 Dec, 2018 03.48

scottishtv wrote:
Mon 10 Dec, 2018 21.55
wank
I have to say I think that is the best deconstruction of any television event since old Jimmy Pepys reviewed that hot London affair at LWT. Or. Whatever it was he did.
Philip

Thu 10 Jan, 2019 21.29

I imagine it's been a long while since someone posted here about an advert that entertains rather than irritates, but I really like the HSBC ads with Richard Ayoade. He's the perfect person to get the point across without appearing preachy or smug.
bilky asko

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 02.37

Philip wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 21.29
I imagine it's been a long while since someone posted here about an advert that entertains rather than irritates, but I really like the HSBC ads with Richard Ayoade. He's the perfect person to get the point across without appearing preachy or smug.
Well it would seem a bit strange for HSBC not to do that sort of advert after 15 years of talking about being "the world's local bank" - and it's an advert you can read into in many ways. And of course Richard Ayoade is very likeable in general.

It's the antithesis to Wiggo from Pimlico Plumbers - how much more dislikeable could you get than the multimillionaire owner of a plumbing chain that charges the earth but was desperate to keep as many rights as possible from its "gig economy" employees?
MarkAshley

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 12.59

bilky asko wrote:
Fri 11 Jan, 2019 02.37
Richard Ayoade is very likeable
My mum doesn't like him.
Please Respond