Adverts that irritate and entertain

bilky asko

Alexia wrote:NR should be impartial... but don't forget, booking end-end online or even with a TVM may not get you the best deal.

Example - Ludlow-London could be £180, whereas Ludlow-Crewe and Crewe-London could be £130.

And, strangely, two singles could be cheaper than a return depending on when you travel.
I once could have taken advantage of that, but it would have meant a ridiculously early journey.
Alexia

bilky asko wrote:
Alexia wrote:NR should be impartial... but don't forget, booking end-end online or even with a TVM may not get you the best deal.

Example - Ludlow-London could be £180, whereas Ludlow-Crewe and Crewe-London could be £130.

And, strangely, two singles could be cheaper than a return depending on when you travel.
I once could have taken advantage of that, but it would have meant a ridiculously early journey.
Even in the daytime, split ticketing can save you money. Have a play around, see what comes up. (Or PM me and I'll run it through the system)
Pete

MoneySavingExpert have been developing a little app called "Tickity Split" which can check some split tickets to see what prices come up.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Alexia wrote:
bilky asko wrote:

Even in the daytime, split ticketing can save you money. Have a play around, see what comes up. (Or PM me and I'll run it through the system)
The only route I use at the moment is the Scarborough-Sheffield route, which only has Anytime fares.
Alexia

£5 single it is then!

Or, if you're a child or trivialmatters, £2.50
Pete

What is the cheapest way to get from Dundee to London?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Alexia

Caledonian Sleeper seat (not bed) - £35 Adult, 17.50 kids. Bought at least 2 days in advance, seat must be reserved.
EDIT: There is also a Scotrail BargainBerth promotional ticket at £19, but I'm not sure when that's valid.
EDIT 2: Just come across a £10 fare... will explore that shortly.

Cheapest way Dundee-London is £10 on Virgin Trains, bought in advance with a compulsory seat reservation. The thing about these really cheap fares is that the TOCs only release a certain number of these fares, so you have to book as far in advance as possible.

Cheapest listed on the VT website mind is £19.65 (East Coast + Connections) so perhaps this £10 is only available on certain trains on certain days.
wells

The advert that which annoys me at the moment is the one in which a lady says "Fact unless treated fungal nail infections may get worse."

Well it's a bit like saying fact you may win the lottery today.

This Aardman Animation is quite original and exciting.

Well till you realise it's for Brum. ;) It did remind me of the 1990's Points of View titles.
Andrew Wood

An irritation - when audio is edited to remove the very brief gaps between words in voiceovers such as in the current ad for Sensodyne toothpaste. It sounds unnatural, rapid and breathless in its delivery. Not a technique I like.
bilky asko

Andrew Wood wrote:An irritation - when audio is edited to remove the very brief gaps between words in voiceovers such as in the current ad for Sensodyne toothpaste. It sounds unnatural, rapid and breathless in its delivery. Not a technique I like.
I think it's a matter of poor editing rather than a bad method.
Sput

The Enterprise Rent-a-car advert is annoying me. Not because of the american/english BANTER, but because when the American says "Aluminum" and the British guy corrects him, he says "it's got a U in it", but U is not the difference.
Knight knight