Adverts that irritate and entertain

james2001

Greg from the Halifax and his movie ruining ways need stringing up! Harold Ramis is spinning in his grave.
Sput

I must say I am very much enjoying the Aldi christmas advert. Almost as much, I am enjoying that a certain subset of twitter is genuinely angry at having been fooled
Knight knight
Critique

Quite like some of the bus stop adverts Lidl are doing at the moment, where they've made it look like they've stuck a poster advertising their (cheaper) product over a more expensive one elsewhere. Looks like there's two variants, one which is supposed to be for M&S mince pies, where you can see 'these aren't just any mince pies' like the (fairly old!) adverts, which I think even uses the old font! In the bottom corner you can also see a bit of the '&S'.

The Waitrose version is much less subtle, using the current font and explicitly saying 'Waitrose', presumably as people wouldn't get it otherwise!
scottishtv

Apparently it's the same as last year, but the Thorntons telly ad truly is awful:

Why is a woman that old living at her parents? Are they just meeting up there? Why are they all dressed up? If they are going out, why are they tucking into a box of £7 supermarket chocolates before dinner? Why did he not buy better chocolates? Who is the child? Does anyone think this is in any way romantic?

Fair to say, it irritates me a lot.
Philip

I imagine it's been a long while since someone posted here about an advert that entertains rather than irritates, but I really like the HSBC ads with Richard Ayoade. He's the perfect person to get the point across without appearing preachy or smug.
bilky asko

Philip wrote: Thu 10 Jan, 2019 21.29 I imagine it's been a long while since someone posted here about an advert that entertains rather than irritates, but I really like the HSBC ads with Richard Ayoade. He's the perfect person to get the point across without appearing preachy or smug.
Well it would seem a bit strange for HSBC not to do that sort of advert after 15 years of talking about being "the world's local bank" - and it's an advert you can read into in many ways. And of course Richard Ayoade is very likeable in general.

It's the antithesis to Wiggo from Pimlico Plumbers - how much more dislikeable could you get than the multimillionaire owner of a plumbing chain that charges the earth but was desperate to keep as many rights as possible from its "gig economy" employees?
Philip

Now that the PPI deadline's approaching, have we seen the last of the bloke in the Gladstone Brookes ads with that jingle? I do hope so.
theTOTHLad2002

Philip wrote: Thu 15 Aug, 2019 17.12 Now that the PPI deadline's approaching, have we seen the last of the bloke in the Gladstone Brookes ads with that jingle? I do hope so.
I should hope so too.
JAS84

Just saw an ad on ITV for Sharps wardrobes. "Offer ends Bank Holiday Monday!" - ahem, that's yesterday, so why is this ad still on air?
Philip

Nationwide continues its impressively consistent run of awful adverts with the most annoying stand-up comedians ever.

Seriously though, on one of them there is a weird production choice where the last joke is made, cue audience laughter, it then cuts to the Nationwide endboard but… we can still hear the laughter dying away to nothing. Is she just standing there motionless?

wells

I’m convinced now they’re trying to create more annoying adverts every time.