Adverts that irritate and entertain

Whataday

They're... weird. It's nice to hear the classic Asda theme again though.

Jonny

gottago wrote: Mon 07 Sep, 2020 10.41 Please tell me Asda hasn't scrapped their pretty decent Dianne Morgan voiced campaign for whatever the fuck this weird, fake DIY thing is that they've started airing this week.
Dear lord, what an absolute misfire this campaign launch is. The central character is insufferable.

Their official YouTube post has this pearl of a description:
"Our superfan Sunny has created his very own Asda commercial, and we were so impressed we decided to run it..."

No-one is buying that. Aldi and Lidl could *possibly* do something with this conceit - but their marketing is far too laser-focused to take such a misstep.

I'm not sure who the intended audience is for this. It's horribly confused.
gottago

The oddest part of the advert is the "Pocket tap four times" bit. At least I think that's what he's saying, the audio's so bad and it's such a random bit that I can't be sure. I get that they're trying to make it look homemade but I'm surprised that bit passed any type of quality check in the post production process.

They've also managed to choose a man who physically looks insufferable which is quite an achievement for such a garbage campaign in the first place. Putting their thumb up at the very end appears to be the imaginative new action to close each of the ads.

I always wish I could've seen the reaction to the final product from those who make and sign off ads like these. How any company could think an advert like this is a good way to get people through the doors genuinely fascinates me.
all new Phil

I like it in a weird way. I don’t think he’s insufferable, I think he’s quite endearing. You’re just a bunch of miserable sods 😂
Jacket

gottago wrote: Sat 19 Sep, 2020 17.46 The oddest part of the advert is the "Pocket tap four times" bit. At least I think that's what he's saying, the audio's so bad and it's such a random bit that I can't be sure.
"It's a pocket tap for our times."

Yeah, it's a dreadful campaign.
Alexia

Anyone else noticed the plethora of LGBTQ+ folk being "used" in adverts lately?

A gay couple advertising broadband internet.
A lesbian couple advertising a car buying/renting company.
Trans individuals pushing Starbucks coffee.

Is my innate cynicism justified in thinking that - much like big corps rainbow-washing their logos during Pride Month - this is exploitation in an effort to generate headlines in the Daily Mail - or perhaps a genuine effort to reflect society as it is in 2020 Britain?

Thoughts?
Whataday

Alexia wrote: Tue 29 Sep, 2020 01.50 Anyone else noticed the plethora of LGBTQ+ folk being "used" in adverts lately?

A gay couple advertising broadband internet.
A lesbian couple advertising a car buying/renting company.
Trans individuals pushing Starbucks coffee.

Is my innate cynicism justified in thinking that - much like big corps rainbow-washing their logos during Pride Month - this is exploitation in an effort to generate headlines in the Daily Mail - or perhaps a genuine effort to reflect society as it is in 2020 Britain?

Thoughts?
I'm going to assume you didn't intend to use the word plethora (ie, there are too many of them). But no matter how big the corporation, there's usually fairly liberal minded marketing creatives working for them with good intentions. Either way it's nice to see a bit more representation.
Andrew

all new Phil wrote: Sat 19 Sep, 2020 18.45 I like it in a weird way. I don’t think he’s insufferable, I think he’s quite endearing. You’re just a bunch of miserable sods 😂
The character is really annoying in the follow up advert, so I think this confirms Asda have done it deliberately to generate chat about how bad they are, rather than them thinking they were actually ok
cdd

It’s basically the opposite of a mock, in that it looks shite but little glimmers of high production standards accidentally slip through.
Whataday

He does their radio ads too and sounds like a competition winner been given the chance to speak on air.
Philip

My god, a Nationwide ad that doesn’t make me want to throw my TV out the window! And is maybe actually kind of funny!

Though the guy does seem to have some sort of parallel hair/beard thing going on.