Adverts that irritate and entertain

Blewatter

Another advert that I find irritating. This 'Get into Teaching' one that (admittedly) isn't on TV anymore, but I owe this one a takedown. So, for context for my vitriol, I have a job in the education sector. I'm not a teacher, but I am qualified to teach. And when I first saw this faux-idealised look into the world of teaching, I laughed because it is such Bullshit. I get that it is trying to promote people getting into secondary teaching, a sector that has seen an incredibly high turnover in recent years, due to:
1. Pay freezes
2. Poor management
3. The rise of free schools and academy trusts that see education as a business first.
4. Poor Government policy

No teacher I have met has seen this advert and thought 'Yeah, this is what I have'. Obviously, we do care about our children. We do want to see them get out of education with their best grades, but the cold facts are that the state of teaching is miserable. Heck, all the teachers in my school stay in their classrooms, or occasionally in their subject bases. We're all in our own cliques, and we're overworked. Fuck this advert.
bilky asko

The advert is hardly going to go "teaching: it's shit and difficult"
Pete

BBC TV Centre wrote: Mon 01 Aug, 2022 18.24Here's a bit of retro goodness...

looking back, that really is a fantastic advert
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Blewatter

bilky asko wrote: Mon 01 Aug, 2022 22.58 The advert is hardly going to go "teaching: it's shit and difficult"
Im just saying its not a good advert to promote teaching. I would lean into the difficult aspect. Believe it or not, that's the best bit about teaching. It is the challenging children, the children who need that little extra help. When I sit with a child, and they are able to solve a problem on their own, and it clicks: I literally fist pump. Teaching is rewarding, and that's the angle they should have gone. Show that its hard, but the rewards are brilliant. I love my job, because of those fist pump moments.
Monolithic

Has anyone seen the hideous new adverts for BBC I player which take up the entire webpage with a large black box with no escape. And the BBC thinks this will make me watch?
gottago

I get the link to "The Christmas Party" as a term but a political party themed Christmas campaign for Tesco seems really odd and joyless and the last thing I want to associate with Christmas. I wonder if they thought it up during the height of the political turmoil over the summer and thought that whole vibe would still be around at the end of the year. The final shot where they're dancing with wheelie bins is an extremely miserable image, particularly given that they've clearly changed the track they were using as the song doesn't match the... er... bin choreography.
Blewatter

As we approach christmas, I am beginning to dread the premiere of the John Lewis christmas ad. Times are already bleak, and I just can't be mithered sitting through a bittersweet, cinematic tableau, set to a slow, acoustic cover of an 80s synth song.
all new Phil

Blewatter wrote: Mon 14 Nov, 2022 21.37 As we approach christmas, I am beginning to dread the premiere of the John Lewis christmas ad. Times are already bleak, and I just can't be mithered sitting through a bittersweet, cinematic tableau, set to a slow, acoustic cover of an 80s synth song.
You’re a bit late for that. It’s been out for a week or so.
Blewatter

all new Phil wrote: Mon 14 Nov, 2022 21.47
Blewatter wrote: Mon 14 Nov, 2022 21.37 As we approach christmas, I am beginning to dread the premiere of the John Lewis christmas ad. Times are already bleak, and I just can't be mithered sitting through a bittersweet, cinematic tableau, set to a slow, acoustic cover of an 80s synth song.
You’re a bit late for that. It’s been out for a week or so.
I googled after making the post. Whoops. As an aside, I have a personal rule that christmas stuff shouldn't be promoted until at least after remembrance day, so it already annoys me that it came out at the start of November.
T0M

They’ll telepathically put that in their diary for next year.
🍊
Philip

Struggling with buying groceries during the cost of living crisis, so buys completely unnecessary products that she doesn't need or even knows what they are. Makes sense? Nationwide are back with another terrible advert.