Adverts that irritate and entertain

Philip

lukey wrote:Really can't stand the Budweiser ad that is perpetually running on 4OD at the moment, mainly because everyone who appears in shot appears particularly glaikit, and the collective "ahhh" at the end fills me with murderous murderous rage.
Also running between every video on ITN.co.uk at the moment. Could they not find any other advertisers?
Alexia

They've changed the audio on the Quality Street Xmas ad.

Not impressed.
Chie

The old version was too sterile and cold and I think the new music makes it more Christmassy. I'm sure Quality Street have used that song before so there's a nostalgia factor too, which everyone seems to be cashing in on now the recession is in full swing. I love the old Accurist advert with John Cleese.

Saw this earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZWk5sQn9w
Alexia

Chie wrote:The old version was too sterile and cold and I think the new music makes it more Christmassy. I'm sure Quality Street have used that song before so there's a nostalgia factor too
Sorry, completely disagree that it was "sterile" - yes it was minimalist, but it was understated also and made it endearing...to me anyway (I'm a piano player so I'm biased!)

And yes they used it before when the child went round to apologise to his neighbour for kicking a football over his wall / firing a sucker arrow at his forehead etc...

This seems to spoof it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLb235PGM6w
Chie

Oh I meant the visuals are sterile, not the music. The old music was good as a piece of music, but the advert as a whole is now much more cheerful and cosy with the new song. It gives some life and soul to those boring, minimalist CGI sweets flying around against the plain, unimaginative, lazy white background.
Sput

Well I think we are all sufficiently confused by Chie now, so I took the liberty of researching this thread and plotting everything on a graph so we might understand!
Knight knight
lukey

Sput wrote:Well I think we are all sufficiently confused by Chie now, so I took the liberty of researching this thread and plotting everything on a graph so we might understand!
*YAY*.
Sput

the blue line is known as the edmonds-wogan gradient.
Knight knight
timgraham

This is a beautiful thing.
nidave

there is nothing more beautiful than someone creating a graph to prove a point.. apart from children that walk into things :)
Col

Saw this on TV last night, was half asleep and thought I was dreaming...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2nL5sSSvd0

The end board is updated to reflect the current price of Lego sets and it's 14:9/16:9 cropped, but a joy to see and it's stood the test of time well.