Adverts that irritate and entertain

Alexia

bilky asko wrote:I hope you, and the people you're with, can recover from your admission of partaking in it.
I don't tend to do it openly. More a furtive visit to the buffet table when no-one's looking. It's also when I mix up the cheese and onion rolls and the sausage rolls. ON PURPOSE.
Philip

Anyone else find those VW Well worth it adverts slightly threatening? As if buying any other brand than VW will lead you to serious harm, and perhaps even death. Obviously that's not what they're implying but they haven't executed the idea well.
gottago

Interesting to see Mirror Bingo celebrate its role in the decline of the bingo industry by featuring a bingo caller walking out into an empty hall and declaring "where has my career gone?" in their latest advert.

Also this whole superfast broadband campaign at the moment has to be the most useless government ad campaign in some time. The TV ad is particularly cringe with a load of shite about how wonderful the nation is (cue Olympic fireworks and fish and chips in newspaper) and how superfast broadband will, erm, improve it or something? Can't actually remember but it was quite irrelevant.

The poster campaign is even shitter with a few glum people starring into a computer screen while sat in the dark. Hardly any information is given on it apart from the website. There's really no need for the campaign and it reeks of propaganda ahead of the election. I can't imagine how many millions have been wasted on it.
Alexia

Halifax's "2015" advert features an omnibus of three of their 2013/14 featured stars.

Not quite sure that works.
Gavin Scott
Admin

This woman in the Halifax ads. "DIY Diva", is it?

She hits the back of the pickup truck with that forklift with more force that the gormless onlooker's face suggests, and then takes a lung full of brick dust in while drilling with no dust mask. This prompts her to close her eyes and turn away, whilst continuing to drill with a 18" masonry bit.

She's not a diva she's a fucking lawsuit waiting to happen.
madmusician

It's brave of Quidco to go down the resung Sexbomb route - Howard from the Halifax's rendition of the song in an ad-related context will take a lot to be beaten...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHghKbQ ... freload=10
dosxuk

Gavin Scott wrote:This woman in the Halifax ads. "DIY Diva", is it?

She hits the back of the pickup truck with that forklift with more force that the gormless onlooker's face suggests, and then takes a lung full of brick dust in while drilling with no dust mask. This prompts her to close her eyes and turn away, whilst continuing to drill with a 18" masonry bit.

She's not a diva she's a fucking lawsuit waiting to happen.
I'm sure the original version of her advert had her being useless - including putting someone's car back window through by overloading the boot while "helping" - but that was just her going the extra mile, but more than would be sensible. It then got tamed down to show she was just really helpful, but the choice of shots never really worked with the re-edit.
Alexia

"This postcode's been a big part of our lives for 11 years."

What does that even MEAN?! Of course it has, it's been on all your MAIL!
tillyoshea

Visa have a range of billboard ads at the moment with the strapline "Everyday Britons are paying with Visa contactless".

It's so unusual to see a company refer to their customers as "everyday Britons" as opposed to using some superlative that I've done a double-take on a couple of occasions now to check it doesn't say "Every day, Britons..."
Alexia

That model in the Listerine is the most UNNATURAL eater of pizza and hotdog in the world. Also who BITES their keyring?
scottishtv

One I meant to gripe about is TSB referring to use of it's website or app as being "local banking on demand".