Adverts that irritate and entertain

WillPS

scottishtv wrote:Oh god, it feels like one of those almost-convincing April Fool's pranks that big companies do these days. What a terrible product. Anyway, why can't they just shout "OK Google... OK GOOGLE... Fuck it... OOOKAAYYY GOOOGGLE" at a phone instead.

PS - has anyone in history stored a shopping list on an Amazon thing, and where on earth would you go to retrieve it?
Presumably on one of the many various [Kindle][ Fire[ Phone] devices which have sold with varying levels of success...
scottishtv

I see Lloyds Banking Group/TSB is now re-writing history by appearing to claim the banking crisis was partly the fault of the customers all along for "being tempted" to "borrow more than they should": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88LRCT1-1eQ. Tsk.
WillPS

scottishtv wrote:I see Lloyds Banking Group/TSB is now re-writing history by appearing to claim the banking crisis was partly the fault of the customers all along for "being tempted" to "borrow more than they should": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88LRCT1-1eQ. Tsk.
TSB Banking Group plc is legally independent from Lloyds now; Lloyds are merely a majority shareholder (for the time being).
scottishtv

I realise that, but this "we're different, we're a local bank" advertising campaign ran from the start of the divestment, under Lloyds.
m-in-m

Of course it's the bankers fault - no one should ever have to take responsibility for their own actions.
Critique

I notice Pringles have some new-ish slogan that starts with 'you don't just eat 'em...' and finishes with something related to an ad campaign or current event, and I hate it. During the World Cup it was 'you don't just eat 'em, you get match ready with 'em'', and I think it's something about watching films with 'em' in relation to a promotion they're doing at the moment. Ultimately, it doesn't make sense. Who was warming up for a World Cup match with some Salt and Vinegar Pringles? No-one, that's who.

It sounds to me like some marketing types had a brainstorm and thought the slogan was a good idea at the time, but it ultimately doesn't work so it sounds forced and stupid, and for some reason it's really irritated me.
Philip

Oh so that's how it works? The paper seal on the cans just says "you don't just eat 'em...". All that does is make you think "No, that's all you do with them".
bilky asko

Philip wrote:Oh so that's how it works? The paper seal on the cans just says "you don't just eat 'em...". All that does is make you think "No, that's all you do with them".
You've never made a duck face with them then? Or used one as an impromptu scoop to rescue a shard of breadstick from the thousand island dip?
Alexia

bilky asko wrote:
Philip wrote:Oh so that's how it works? The paper seal on the cans just says "you don't just eat 'em...". All that does is make you think "No, that's all you do with them".
You've never made a duck face with them then? Or used one as an impromptu scoop to rescue a shard of breadstick from the thousand island dip?
Yes but we don't talk about it in public.
Critique

bilky asko wrote:
Unfortunately I'm yet to see the variant of the ad campaign that ends with 'you make a duck face with 'em'.
Yeah, my post came from seeing it on the seal and sighing! Looking on the website that is definitely how they're using it, with the Pringles website currently suggesting you 'night in with 'em' and 'party with 'em'.
bilky asko

Alexia wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
Yes but we don't talk about it in public.
I hope you, and the people you're with, can recover from your admission of partaking in it.