Adverts that irritate and entertain

Gavin Scott
Admin

The Fiat 500 ad annoys me. Its dubbed in English from, I assume, Italian.

During the line at the end, I hear "where's the fun in that?" but his lips say, "bebe bebe be".

NO. ITS WRONG.

Some lines lend themselves to being dubbed. Lots do - you see it all the time. In this case its as if they scoured Babelfish to find the worst possible words to match.

Its not as if they're hawking tacky little chocolates - cars are expensive.

What a shambles.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Holy crap, that Tom Daly ad for the Nestle sporting thing is awful.

Walking through a choreographed crowd talking to camera, he has various sporting objects thrust upon him or into his hands. Bats, balls, helmets.

But for all the rehearsal that must have taken, they might as well have painted the items in the frame - he's completely devoid of reaction - he grabs the items with rigidly outstretched arms, the only movement is in his fingers as he grips for a second, then releases as someone takes said object away.

It looks really, really peculiar. He has no expression in his voice either. Like an anamatronic from Disneyworld.

BUT.

He's really a very handsome little lad, and if I were 20 years younger and a third of the weight, I'd be writing him love letters.
WillPS

That Microsoft ad which thankfully seems to have finished.
  1. The advert is built on the premise that the lady thinks her elderly computer is good enough. The advert doesn't explain at all how she is incorrect - the only thing that comes close is "one click - you're online"
  2. and about that "one click" thing - what are they on about? Since I've had broadband the internet is there - no clicking necessary? And when I need to collect somewhere else, it's at least 2 clicks? Were they referring to "one click" of a browser? If so, that also is not a feature which is new to any current version of Windows...
  3. How is building a computer store in her living room in any way more convenient than just taking her to bloody PC World?
Nick Harvey
God

Gavin.

You need to buy the Radio Times this week!
Sput

Ugh, Kayak.co.uk. A cheap advert for a plane ticket price comparison site. Three gripes:
1. It's badly drawn, in fact it's just two pictures and some zooming.
2. Their "amazing" price is £54 when the non-amazing price is £55, and this is on their *own advert*.
3. It's so badly made that the clouds don't loop properly
Knight knight
Malpass93

WillPS wrote:That Microsoft ad which thankfully seems to have finished.
  1. The advert is built on the premise that the lady thinks her elderly computer is good enough. The advert doesn't explain at all how she is incorrect - the only thing that comes close is "one click - you're online"
  2. and about that "one click" thing - what are they on about? Since I've had broadband the internet is there - no clicking necessary? And when I need to collect somewhere else, it's at least 2 clicks? Were they referring to "one click" of a browser? If so, that also is not a feature which is new to any current version of Windows...
  3. How is building a computer store in her living room in any way more convenient than just taking her to bloody PC World?
I know what you mean, that advert is horrendous to watch.

Especially since my computer is older than hers. Does that mean Microsoft are gonna turn my living room into a Currys?
The New Malpass.
WillPS

Malpass93 wrote:
WillPS wrote:That Microsoft ad which thankfully seems to have finished.
I know what you mean, that advert is horrendous to watch.

Especially since my computer is older than hers. Does that mean Microsoft are gonna turn my living room into a Currys?
It starts well - identifying a clear target market of people with old computers who see no need to upgrade, but then fails to provide even a single reason why such a user would benefit from an upgrade. Probably because, at the end of the day, there isn't really a good reason. All software releases still have support for Windows XP, and that's unlikely to change for a good while yet.
lukey

Talking of bad Microsoft ads, I really hate the 'to the cloud' campaign.

1. I don't really think 'the cloud' is something we should be selling to...you know...humans. Humans are not known for their interest in server architecture - it's possible to sell user-facing cloudy stuff without mentioning it at all.

2. It's not even talking about cloud-based stuff! What the willy feck does playing with a photo editor have to do with the cloud anyway?

3. Not to mention the "Windows gives me the family nature never could" line. Urgh.
Malpass93

lukey wrote:Talking of bad Microsoft ads, I really hate the 'to the cloud' campaign.

1. I don't really think 'the cloud' is something we should be selling to...you know...humans. Humans are not known for their interest in server architecture - it's possible to sell user-facing cloudy stuff without mentioning it at all.

2. It's not even talking about cloud-based stuff! What the willy feck does playing with a photo editor have to do with the cloud anyway?

3. Not to mention the "Windows gives me the family nature never could" line. Urgh.
Nothin' says "family" like a faked photo. Generating fake family memories - wonderful.
The New Malpass.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Nick Harvey wrote:Gavin.

You need to buy the Radio Times this week!
I glimpsed the cover yesterday, Nick.

But I don't want my newsagent spotting such an *obvious* deviation from my usual order. That is to say, I bought Gay Times when Thomaz Schafernaker was on the cover, but in this case Tom Daly is dressed in a pair of scanty trunks, and I'm embarrassed.

Besides, I've now seen all there is to see and have decided there's not very much meat in the proposition.

If you catch my drift.
marksi

There's an advert for tampons where a dancing woman gets a "gift from mother nature".

I get dry boke when it comes on.