Microsoft office problem

manxy

I'm having problems with Microsoft Office, for example when I open up a Powerpoint file th window opens and the only thing that is visible is "Running Virus Scan..." in the bottom left corner. Then it eventually shuts itself down. However when I open a new blank file I don't have any problems, or when I use another computer with Powerpoint on it. Can anyone help me or explain what my problem is.

Thanks in advance manxy
Nini
Banned

Was going to ask you just what version of Office you use but instead I'm going to ask what anti-virus software you use. Seems your AV software of choice doesn't like .ppt files or maybe its just the one.

Does it only happen on one file or on others? Seeing as you can still use the software, just not open it, save a blank .ppt file and open that up. Report back and I or someone else will tell you where to go from there.
manxy

Right Im using an altered version of Microsoft Powerpoint. My AV software is Norton Antivirus, but my subscription has ran out and i haven't got round to renewing it. I did as you said and when i went to open the file the same thing happened.
Chris

I used to get annoyed by this 'running virus scan' crap on my computer when I had Norton Antivirus (2002) and opened up Word files. Try looking in the options within Norton to disable the plugin for scanning office documents - I seem to remember for mine, it was something like that. I've not had Norton on a computer for years, so I can't say for certain where it is.

You could try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919047
Nini
Banned

Norton, much like McAfee, is nasty shit to have on your system and an absolute cunt to remove fully. Best suggestion for you is to get Norton off your system as best you can then find a free AV app like AVG or Avast.

Altered interests me though, how exactly is it "altered" and why is it? If it's altered as in Norton got into it then there's your problem.
Alexia

Nini wrote:Norton....McAfee....nasty shit on your system...absolute cunt to remove...get Norton off your system then use AVG or Avast.
Completely agree. Cleaned up a workmate's laptop the other day, Norton was still on her system but didnt detect 5 Trojan Horses. Downloaded AVG8 for her, now she's clean.

When buying a laptop from PC World, never believe the Anti-Virus bollocks. They're just trying to sell you stuff you don't need. AVG is more than capable for the normal browser and e-mailer.
cdd

Or how about no anti-virus/anti-spyware software? A little common sense goes a long way...
Nini
Banned

Common sense is no protection for a system with security like a sieve if/when it does all of a sudden gets borked so wallow in your wrongness once more good sir.
Andrew Wood

I've given up on AVG8 - it's just far too slow now it's become so bloated. Downloading and virus checking emails would take minutes instead of seconds which is what I now get after installing Avast 4.8. Same level of protection, but a faster machine.

Good old Dad, finally persuaded him to rid himself of Norton, only for him to go and pay for AVG8 without checking with me first...!
cdd

Nini wrote:Common sense is no protection for a system with security like a sieve if/when it does all of a sudden gets borked so wallow in your wrongness once more good sir.
--General Statisics--
Number of days I have used computers: c 4400
Percentage of those days I have had antivirus software installed: 0
Number of ActiveX/XPI controls I install when prompted unexpectedly: 0
Number of EXE/COM/BAT/VBS files I run from untrusted publishers: 0
Number of viruses I have had as a consequence of my computer usage: 0

but then I suppose anti-virus software is really just another quack health market, isn't it?
Alexia

cdd wrote:but then I suppose anti-virus software is really just another quack health market, isn't it?

I heard once that the Anti-Virus companies actually CREATE viruses in order for their products to sell....