iPhone 2.0

Sput

So it's looking as though Apple's getting set to announce the 3G version of the iPhone on monday, with what's rumoured to be a feature set that'd bring it up to par with the Nokia n95: GPS, 3G, Video calling, third party applications and all that jazz AND there are rumblings that it'll be available subsidised and perhaps on Pay as you go at the full price. Frankly I'm pretty tempted to sell my ipod touch and n95 and get one since I'm on O2 already. Anyone else more tempted by this renewed proposition?
Knight knight
Dr Lobster*

i just can't get excited over phones any more, i just love the people who keep the plastic bit on the screen in case they scratch it. sad fucks. haven't they got anything better to worry about?

but on topic, not tempted in the slightest, i don't really have time to listen to all that music (wish i did), but i'd probably spend the money on a nice holiday in the maldives instead (based on the total cost of ownership).
Sput

Who's your travel agent? That's a bargain!

To add to my first post: The reason I'm so into the idea of getting one is that I'm genuinely a bit disappointed by my N95 experience. I got it 2 months ago and found it's not at all comfortable to use the keyboard, it's awkwardly slow to load things like text messages and it's just a bit idiosyncratic in its software design. Typically these are things I'd expect Apple to do far more effectively, if they hit the right number of actual features anyway.
Knight knight
Dr Lobster*

wasn't the total cost of an iphone over the course of the contract about £900 on o2?

i do find that with most phones though, i had samsung phones for years and years and my last one was so unstable i decided to go for a sony ericsson (based on a friends recommendation) and i found the interface much more polished, if usability is what you're after i can't complain - typing messages is nice and quick and generally navigating around is intuitive.

i don't know if there are any sony phones that have the features you need though.
Sput

It's not in my makeup to reduce the number of features in a phone from one upgrade to the next! You're spot on about the cost of ownership and I'm working to the assumption that there will be more flexibility this time round. If the PAYG rumour is true then I don't see they'd want to stop me chucking in my existing £15/month SIM into it and carrying along on my merry way. There's also the prospect of hacking it if they didn't want to allow such shenanegans. No way would I pay £35/mo for a contract - I just couldn't justify it!
Knight knight
Nini
Banned

The iPhone for me, even with 3G hoppydoo, still doesn't have it as for me, well, it's still a mobile phone and wouldn't be able to justify any contract for little use of the phone element. The rest though sounds good and after playing recently with a Windows Mobile based smartphone and finally confirming my thoughts of Windows CE being worse than shit in a Lidl plastic bag and wanting nothing to do with such crap again I'll be getting a iPod touch once it makes its way to being a viable replacement for my 5.5G 80Gb iPod in storage terms.

She's a trooper but she has around 1.5 gigs left and given that just putting down for a 160Gb iPod classic would deal with the space issue, I really do like the idea of having a mini version of OSX with me should I decide to jailbreak the sucker or simply use the iTunes app store when it opens. That and I don't much like the screen real estate waste with half the screen dedicated to that which is unrequired for the most part, Cover Flow sounds good though but I also hear it's a bit sluggish so might pass. Hm, gone way off base there, continue.
Sput

I'm ridiculous enough to have a classic AND a touch, because I like shiny things. It's a weakness of mine. I think I've walked into their alluring trap though. I got to thinking "hey, it'd be so nice if I could use this browser out and about, and if I could send a text message, ooh and take a picture" when using the Touch. Damn them.
Knight knight
Nini
Banned

Preaching to the choir there my good man but yes, you are ridiculous. I'm willing to let this slide for reasons all associated with that fruit... thing company. You know the one.
cdd

Well I suspect Apple were milking the "more money than sense" crowd for their 1.0 release, and are now going for "general release" at a more... sane price.

I must say unlike Nini that I do like WinCE because it is a fully-fledged platform so I can run things like an SNES emulator + roms on it and there are also many years' worth of applications developed for it. I also love how it connects to my MS Exchange server and syncs all the data, it's really the holy grail of what you'd expect from a phone with all data "everywhere". And I use the Streaming Media application that's built in to stream my entire music library over 3G/HSDPA, and I like the Internet Sharing feature where I can use it as a modem through which I can connect my laptop on the train. Having the full msn application on the go is also a real boon, and it makes very effective use of Voice Clips IMO which makes communicating very easy.

I will agree, though, that the interface is pretty unfriendly on them, and the IEMobile web browser could be a lot better.
Nini
Banned

I don't know if you're wrong about 1.0 releases.. it is a universal constant after all.

EDIT: Seeing as you feel WinCE is good and it probably is, didn't get deep enough to feel it all, I feel you might be wrong. You really are wrong about 1.0 bleeding edge early adopters though, no two ways about it as they're kinda like the beta testers but in a gamma phase environment. Curse perpetual betas.
rts

I would very much like to get iPhone 2.0, especially with the added features. The problem is that I am very happy with my contract with Orange, and doubt O2 would match it.

I had an N95, but found it far too buggy, despite updating firmware etc. I have now settled for a Sony Ericsson K850. Far less features, and I do miss not having wi-fi, but it does the job and has an excellent camera, by phone standards.