iPhone 2.0

Gluben

My phone is getting quite old now. It's a Motorola V500, on Orange pay-as-you-go, and it's been a bit unreliable lately, what with the speaker almost vanishing into silence. And since I got my iPod nano a few Christmases back, my music collection has grown considerably.

Thus, I really am tempted to get an iPhone, not just to save weight in my pocket, although that is a bonus having one device rather than two. But the price had better be much cheaper, and there should be enough reasons (3G, GPS, video conferencing, better camera etc.) to switch from Orange to O2. I believe it will also be pay-as-you-go, which helps enormously. But I'm wondering if it's best to wait a bit, since hardware and software, when first released, is notoriously buggy and unstable.

Also, I hope they announce The Beatles on iTunes, just because it's been way too long since they should've been put on there.
Nini
Banned

bee bee see wrote:Also, I hope they announce The Beatles on iTunes, just because it's been way too long since they should've been put on there.
That everlasting rumour? Been a while since I heard that.. almost a month.
Gluben

Nini wrote:
bee bee see wrote:Also, I hope they announce The Beatles on iTunes, just because it's been way too long since they should've been put on there.
That everlasting rumour? Been a while since I heard that.. almost a month.
Last heard in March, I believe, just after the whole Heather Mills fiasco.
Sput

Oh they'll be added, right after the new Newton comes out.

(If they fucking launch a new tablet tomorrow I'm going to hit cdd levels of wrongness)
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Have they resovled things like the keyboard only appearing in portrait mode only when texting? I text 60% of the time, so that would be important to me.

My 18 month orange contract comes to an end in a couple of months. My average bill is 43 quid, which is way too much. I could certainly look at an iPhone as an alternative based on my current spend, and the free internet on the £35 contract is what draws my eye.

My needs are simple. Texting, phoning, a bit of music and a browser. I'm not even that fussed about a megapixel camera. Its just not a big deal to me.
Nini
Banned

bee bee see wrote:Last heard in March, I believe, just after the whole Heather Mills fiasco.
And it never really goes away even though from a simplistic consumer POV I can't see why beyond making new fans. This, much like the fabled Mac tablet and the mid-level tower Mac, is just like Sputson says will happen once the all-new Newton comes out though I'd see his Newton and raise him a modern day Pippin.

I think the landscape keyboard for SMS issue has been fixed but I'll accept being wrong as it's similar to how clipboard functionality is still missing.
Gluben

Nini wrote:
bee bee see wrote:Last heard in March, I believe, just after the whole Heather Mills fiasco.
And it never really goes away even though from a simplistic consumer POV I can't see why beyond making new fans. This, much like the fabled Mac tablet and the mid-level tower Mac, is just like Sputson says will happen once the all-new Newton comes out though I'd see his Newton and raise him a modern day Pippin.
I'm afraid I am one of those who would like to see it soon. Partly because they are being remastered, and partly because it's been too long coming.
Luke-H

bee bee see wrote:I'm afraid I am one of those who would like to see it soon. Partly because they are being remastered, and partly because it's been too long coming.
Well, we'll have to hear how the remasters sound first. Hopefully they'll do a good job with them, and not just compress the hell out of them, which seems to be the trend nowadays.
James Hatts

Our very own MrTomServo is amongst those live-blogging the keynote here:
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/09/tuaw-met ... 8-keynote/
Nini
Banned

Our Rob seems to have gone places though I didn't know the Robert Palmer at TUAW was our Robert Palmer. Too bad he never calls us anymore, too busy he says.
Sput

Oh this 3G stuff is encouraging
Knight knight