Suit colours

Sput

I'm the kind of guy who'd dress up to go to the opening of a window - and I like to get the odd new suit now and again. Lately I got to thinking that I should keep interviews in mind (just in case, obviously) next time I hit the shops. Thing is, I've heard from a couple of people lately that wearing a black suit to an interview is a big no-no. I thought (well, i KNOW) that black suits look ultrafab - and a black tie is awesome too, regardless of how morbid it looks, but now I'm torn about what to get next. Anyone hear this/care to offer fabric samples?
Knight knight
Nick Harvey
God

You've just reminded me of that old jingle "John Collier, John Collier, the window to watch". Rather appropriate for people who buy suits to go to window openings.

As to your original question, I'm absolutely no hope nowadays. I'm down to just two suits (which fit), one evening, for the top end functions; and one lounge, for the lesser functions and the numerous friends' and ex-collegues funerals which seem to crop up. The lounge suit is, therefore, extremely dark, navy blue, to cover both eventualities.

I have a couple of black ties, one bow to go with the evening suit; and one ordinary for the funerals; plus a selection of brighter items for all the other events.

There, now you have a fairly intimate knowledge of my wardrobe, but I've been phuque all help to your own sartorial elegance.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Black, grey and grey check "skinny" suits are hot at the moment, sartorially speaking.

Your rather vauge avatars make it difficult for me to advise on a cut, sput, but if you plan on wearing this suit out for this summer and autumn in swanky locations you would look catwalk wise. Black suits are in at the moment.

If you would rather be counter-fashion (which is always an attractive point in a man) you cannot go wrong with a black, single breast suit with a wide spaced pinstipe. My eye is always drawn to this (and I pass a lot of suited young men). It works on all body types, tall and lean, short and stocky. Classic and timeless.

The only people who would think that you had been to a funeral would be the older generation, like myself and our lord Nick. But both of us would be smart enough to see that your pearly white smile means you're over the loss or weren't too upset in the first place.

Young un's will think you look both cool and hot all at once.
marksi

Tomasz Shafernaker seems to know a good supplier of suits in grey and black with a shiny finish, should that meet your needs.

Or maybe he just ironed them with the setting too high.
Lorns

Go for a petrol blue with a hint of a shiney finish. Also a nice waistcoat and an Oxford knot tie.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
nwtv2003

Bought a cream suit from H&M last year and I've only worn it twice, once last week to a Wedding and it did the trick, everyone liked it and managed to pull. Although I felt like a right outcast as everyone else was wearing dark blue/black suits. But nevertheless it's still worth considering.
steve
Sput

Of course you pulled: it was a WEDDING.
Knight knight
Lorns

And remember, everyone judges a man by his shoes. Make sure you have good footwear to finish off the finish of whatever suit you decide upon. Good grooming is the key.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Skytower

Purple.

Game over.
Skytower

nodnirG kraM wrote:Funny you should say that - I was irritating everybody by suggesting Graham Norton's purple suit and lime green shirt combo on Saturday night was fab. But then again I had just spent £300 on some speakers in sludge green that I had only considered buying on the basis that the chap in Richer Sounds described them as "foul".
Can I distance myself, and insist that at no point did Graham Norton phone me for fashion advice...
Nini
Banned

I guess green and purple suits work... if you're wanting to look like a bad Joker knockoff.