The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Whataday

Tue 09 Apr, 2019 20.21

Critique wrote:
Tue 09 Apr, 2019 13.29
Clearly new ideas are hard to come by in retail, as I note M&S have resurrected ‘this isn’t just food...’ on some of their recent advertising!
They've added it to their carrier bags too. On one side is the M&S Food logo in a black square, and on the other side another black square containing "THIS IS NOT JUST ANY FOOD THIS IS M&S FOOD" without any punctuation (save for the &). Looks very basic and rushed.
Whataday

Tue 09 Apr, 2019 20.28

I took a photo of one to show you just how basic it is.

This doesn't really suggest the sophisticated advertising for which the slogan is known.
gottago

Tue 09 Apr, 2019 22.54

Critique wrote:
Tue 09 Apr, 2019 13.29
Clearly new ideas are hard to come by in retail, as I note M&S have resurrected ‘this isn’t just food...’ on some of their recent advertising!

Went to grab lunch from a Simply Food today and also discovered that they’d got the Britain’s Got Talent judges to pre-record the voiceover for the tills - had Alesha Dixon tell me to scan my Sparks card and could hear Amanda Holden in the background! M&S doesn’t seem like the natural choice for this type of thing I’d have thought?
This BGT sponsorship and the new TV ad they’ve just launched suggest they’re going for a much more mainstream audience now, no doubt following the weak results they announced in food not too long ago. Given that was pretty much the only reliable part of the business it makes sense that they’re trying to seem a bit more accessible.
Whataday

Thu 11 Apr, 2019 15.49

Critique wrote:
Tue 09 Apr, 2019 13.29
Went to grab lunch from a Simply Food today and also discovered that they’d got the Britain’s Got Talent judges to pre-record the voiceover for the tills - had Alesha Dixon tell me to scan my Sparks card and could hear Amanda Holden in the background!
Not just the judges. I heard Ant McPartlin's voice come from nowhere and I wasn't sure whether to scan my chicken or jump out the way.
Philip

Sat 13 Apr, 2019 22.00

Those M&S TV ads certainly are different aren't they? Not sure if they're a good idea myself but time will tell.
Pete

Sat 13 Apr, 2019 22.11

has anyone been to a Jack's yet?

Also, why do so many Tesco expresses still have the old software on the self scans? Surely it should be rolled out everywhere by now :/
"He has to be larger than bacon"
woah

Sun 14 Apr, 2019 21.19

I still find the voice on the Tesco self service checkouts really bizarre - he has the nasally voice of someone from a cheesy regional radio advert.

Even weirder are the things he says like "Find your item, or have a browse" - because of course you're going to have a browse of what you fancy after you've paid. Or "All of your Tesco points add up" which no one in the world would ever actually say.

The UI refresh on Tesco and ASDA self service checkouts is great - Sainsbury's have made a bit of a hash of it though. Morrisons still use the old UI (including their old logo) so I can't imagine they'll be changing that any time soon, but theirs are always very responsive.
Critique

Sun 14 Apr, 2019 23.11

woah wrote:
Sun 14 Apr, 2019 21.19
I still find the voice on the Tesco self service checkouts really bizarre - he has the nasally voice of someone from a cheesy regional radio advert.

Even weirder are the things he says like "Find your item, or have a browse" - because of course you're going to have a browse of what you fancy after you've paid. Or "All of your Tesco points add up" which no one in the world would ever actually say.

The UI refresh on Tesco and ASDA self service checkouts is great - Sainsbury's have made a bit of a hash of it though. Morrisons still use the old UI (including their old logo) so I can't imagine they'll be changing that any time soon, but theirs are always very responsive.
I don't mind the voice on the Tesco tills but agree that the scripting is iffy - think I flagged at the time that 'Tesco points' was a very odd term. Originally I thought they were trying to make 'Tesco Clubcard' more of a thing in the same way that the BBC started pushing 'BBC Radio 1' rather than just 'Radio 1' about a decade or so ago, but then there's a bit of script that just says 'scan your Clubcard to earn Clubcard points' which blows that theory out of the water! Considering the new script was supposed to be less annoying, it's also a weirdly wordy line - isn't the default in Sainsbury's etc just 'Card accepted, please continue'?
WillPS

Wed 17 Apr, 2019 16.32

Critique wrote:
Sun 14 Apr, 2019 23.11
woah wrote:
Sun 14 Apr, 2019 21.19

I don't mind the voice on the Tesco tills but agree that the scripting is iffy - think I flagged at the time that 'Tesco points' was a very odd term. Originally I thought they were trying to make 'Tesco Clubcard' more of a thing in the same way that the BBC started pushing 'BBC Radio 1' rather than just 'Radio 1' about a decade or so ago, but then there's a bit of script that just says 'scan your Clubcard to earn Clubcard points' which blows that theory out of the water! Considering the new script was supposed to be less annoying, it's also a weirdly wordy line - isn't the default in Sainsbury's etc just 'Card accepted, please continue'?
It's the one that is mentioned when you go to 'Look Up Item' - something like "find your favourites, or have a browse". Completely unhelpful, and a weird suggestion.
Pete

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 20.04

I find him annoyingly plummy. Much preferred the original woman. Tesco points is baffling and needs binned off. The inconsistency between payQuik / Digital Wallet / Tesco Pay+ in the UI is annoying too. The app changed possibly a year ago yet there are still references to the old branding everywhere.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
all new Phil

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 20.55

WillPS wrote:
Wed 17 Apr, 2019 16.32
Critique wrote:
Sun 14 Apr, 2019 23.11
woah wrote:
Sun 14 Apr, 2019 21.19

It's the one that is mentioned when you go to 'Look Up Item' - something like "find your favourites, or have a browse". Completely unhelpful, and a weird suggestion.
You mean that you don’t take the opportunity, once at the checkout, to take a browse at what Tesco sells? Beats looking round the store.
*ass
Please Respond