The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Philip

I didn't like the new font at first. I thought the previous font was perfect, when you saw it you thought of Tesco. The new one seemed more generic in that regard. But I've warmed to it, and I guess any major redesign after all this time is probably a good thing, to keep the stores looking fresh.

That Clubcard design is a bit plain isn't it? Also amazed they're sticking with the same font/style for 'Every little helps' since they last refreshed that 15 years ago or so.
Martin Phillp

I note the Clubcard is contactless. Getting rid of the barcode/swipe method?
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 22 Jun, 2017 13.04 I note the Clubcard is contactless. Getting rid of the barcode/swipe method?
I doubt they'll scrap barcodes completely - probably wont work as well on keyrings, particularly if Nectar, Morrisons, Co-op or one of the other keyring fob dwellers in my pocket decide to do the same.

Also Pay at Pump has no obvious contactless hardware.
Andrew

Are they actually going to reissue new cards though, as I can't imagine new sign-ups being very substantial at this stage.
thegeek

Andrew wrote: Sat 24 Jun, 2017 16.24 Are they actually going to reissue new cards though, as I can't imagine new sign-ups being very substantial at this stage.
I'm pretty sure a previous rebrand saw Clubcards reissued - that said, they're pushing their apps (like PayQwik) more, so maybe they'll not see it as worth the cost.

Incidentally, I've seen this Clubcard image in a few places - this one (obviously) on the Tesco Mobile site :

Tesco Bank have got as far as updating the MasterCard logo, but nowt else:
Critique

I had a new Clubcard issued a few months ago, and whilst in my Apple Wallet it features the design from the Tesco mobile banner, the actual physical one remains the old design, with the large embossed Tesco logo that you can only see when you tilt it and see the reflection.
Pete

Contactless clubcards already exist in the form of the credit card. If you press clubcard on self scan you can contactless the card and it'll only register the clubcard but not charge the card. Useful if you want to pay by another means.

The card on apple wallet meanwhile now works nicely with the scan and go however it seems some branches had a little shelf under their barcode readers for properly lining up the keyfobs. It's too close for the QR code so refuses to work. Surprised they've not removed these yet.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

thegeek wrote: Sat 24 Jun, 2017 18.36 Tesco Bank have got as far as updating the MasterCard logo, but nowt else:
That 'radial' design is based on the Clubcard design before the current one (introduced 2007/8ish!):

Have they stopped embossing the Clubcard number on the front of their credit cards? The one I had issued last year (with the old Mastercard logo) has it but my Current Account Visa debit card doesn't. I'd assumed it was a Visa compliance thing rather than a design choice.
Pete

visa debits usually have the sort code and account number in that space. perhaps it's that?

my recent replacement card still has the clubcard number embossed.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote: Mon 26 Jun, 2017 08.39 visa debits usually have the sort code and account number in that space. perhaps it's that?

my recent replacement card still has the clubcard number embossed.
Yepp, that makes sense. Looking at my card now I've just noticed it's printed on the back instead.
james2001

Nice mix of old and new signage seen today!

Also, took these two photos in the Worksop branch last year: