The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

wells
Posts: 742
Joined: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 14.52

In the Republic of Ireland, it is branded Tesco Ireland (although I believe they are phasing this name out).
Image
User avatar
Andrew Wood
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 23.24
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Abbreviated product names on the receipts can be tricky - as the one that made it into the papers a while back showed: it was for Finest Chicken Lasagne but on the receipt it came up as 'F*CKN LASAGNE'.
Image
User avatar
Nick Harvey
God
Posts: 4027
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 22.26
Location: Deepest Wiltshire
Contact:

Andrew Wood wrote:Except that's not how the name came about.
Now that's very interesting, Andrew.

You'd think that their website ought to be correct, yet the "Tessa" version is what I was always told by my father and, without extending the pissing competition between Gavin and I, he and Jack were pretty good friends, so I've no reason to doubt his version; plus TG, who works there, also thinks the "Tessa" version is correct.
User avatar
Neil
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 17.02
Location: Manchester

Nick Harvey wrote:
Neil Green wrote:Typical waste of licence fee payers' money
I don't think he got an awful lot of the half crown radio licence, or even the one guinea television licence.
It's the principle that counts.

Have you been drinking something mellow this evening, Mr Harvey?
Nini
Banned
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri 19 Oct, 2007 17.14

They've done gone rewritten the past, worse than the urban legends surrounding Asda's name (yes, Associated Dairies, don't get smart).

As an addition, I really don't like their cursive font, something oddly unreadable about it when used for, I dunno, a sentence more than 4 words in length.
Andrew Wood wrote:Abbreviated product names on the receipts can be tricky - as the one that made it into the papers a while back showed: it was for Finest Chicken Lasagne but on the receipt it came up as 'F*CKN LASAGNE'.
Ah, classic!
wells
Posts: 742
Joined: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 14.52

The Batley store seems to one of many newer stores with a Curved roof.

ImageImage
Image

And here is the Ludlow store apparently it's to blend in with hills in the back ground.
Image

Image

What really interests me about all this is, the idea their could be one in this country exactly the same as one in Poland or Japan although I've not come across such a match as of yet.
User avatar
Nick Harvey
God
Posts: 4027
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 22.26
Location: Deepest Wiltshire
Contact:

Neil Green wrote:Have you been drinking something mellow this evening, Mr Harvey?
Hehe, how appropriate!

It turns out it's Tesco Finest Cotes du Rhone Villages.
User avatar
Neil
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 17.02
Location: Manchester

Nick Harvey wrote:Hehe, how appropriate!

It turns out it's Tesco Finest Cotes du Rhone Villages.
Well, they do say that every little helps.






I said little, not huge gulps from the bottle!
User avatar
Andrew Wood
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 23.24
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Nick Harvey wrote:
Andrew Wood wrote:Except that's not how the name came about.
Now that's very interesting, Andrew.

You'd think that their website ought to be correct, yet the "Tessa" version is what I was always told by my father and, without extending the pissing competition between Gavin and I, he and Jack were pretty good friends, so I've no reason to doubt his version; plus TG, who works there, also thinks the "Tessa" version is correct.
Shame, then, that Jack's wife was Sarah Fox.
Image
User avatar
Pete
Posts: 7228
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 13.36
Location: Dundee

On the topic of tesco receipts, which we're only slightly on but I don't care, why is it they have such vague descriptions?

How come if I go to Sainsburys it would read something like
Colgate Total, S Strong Cheddar, Muller Corner SB, Cravendale 2ltr

but at tesco you get a receipt that reads
Toothpaste, Cheese, Yoghurt, Milk?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
User avatar
Andrew Wood
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 23.24
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Don't know, but it doesn't half play havoc at the service desk when trying to sort out complaints.
Image
Please Respond