The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

woah

Pete wrote:
woah wrote:I read it as buy some pasta, and get Tesco Finest pasta sauce half price - but the way you're making it out suggests it's not that simple.
Well that is essentially the offer. My issues are with the design of the ticket and with the fact the two items were not next to one another on the shelf.

Also consider how these look when you're not carefully reading the labels that I've highlighted in closeup pictures. It just reads as "half price" which they are not.

This is where Tesco's policy of not using barkers (or talkers as they call them) within the aisles really lets itself down. You can't explain an offer of this sort on a standard SEL.
Yes, I agree with you there, I find this in other supermarkets as well as Tesco.

If they insist on using the normal-sized SELs to advertise these offers, at least make it clear what the offer includes and place the products so that they are both within sight of each other - some people would simply ignore that offer after trying to work out the offer and where the other product is.
WillPS

bilky asko wrote:
Pete wrote:
woah wrote:I read it as buy some pasta, and get Tesco Finest pasta sauce half price - but the way you're making it out suggests it's not that simple.
Well that is essentially the offer. My issues are with the design of the ticket and with the fact the two items were not next to one another on the shelf.

Also consider how these look when you're not carefully reading the labels that I've highlighted in closeup pictures. It just reads as "half price" which they are not.

This is where Tesco's policy of not using barkers (or talkers as they call them) within the aisles really lets itself down. You can't explain an offer of this sort on a standard SEL.
Indeed. I think it looks a little untidy as well having differently coloured SELs everywhere.

Unfortunately I haven't spotted any price gaffes at Tesco - but I do have these two from Sainsbury's and from a recently closed Co-operative, taken a couple of months ago or so:

Can explain this one. The item is on a chain-wide offer (2 for £4) but has been discontinued in that store and so reduced, undermining the 2 for £4 offer somewhat (but if chosen with another £2.89 priced product would still represent a saving).
Andrew

At the end of the day there are just too many offers at Tescos at any one time, half the aisle is covered in yellow tickets.

For example in the confectionary display there is likely to be some chocolate bars on say 3 for £1 and some others on 2 for 80p, the section of the ticket is too small to list which items are part of the offer, half the time without scanning the whole display you can't work out what is in what offer.

I do wonder how many man hours are spent each week changing over the tickets, it is no wonder mistakes happen.
bilky asko

WillPS wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
Indeed. I think it looks a little untidy as well having differently coloured SELs everywhere.

Unfortunately I haven't spotted any price gaffes at Tesco - but I do have these two from Sainsbury's and from a recently closed Co-operative, taken a couple of months ago or so:

Can explain this one. The item is on a chain-wide offer (2 for £4) but has been discontinued in that store and so reduced, undermining the 2 for £4 offer somewhat (but if chosen with another £2.89 priced product would still represent a saving).
That would make sense - as it's a Local the number of items I've seen come and go is amazing. Most annoyingly, 600ml bottles of Tango have gone.
WillPS

Yeah - you see a lot more of those on-shelf reductions in Locals as their limited number of lines means things come and go a lot more. Much rarer to see it on fresh stuff though, as they normally just stop sending out and either wait for it to sell through or go off.

You're more likely to get some really good post-Halloween bargains too, as the space used for Halloween is needed almost instantly for Christmas (unlike in mainchain where they can phase Halloween out and Christmas in). In November 2008 I got three of those large tubs of themed Haribo sweets for 10p each - this was an on-shelf label, not a yellow reduction sticker!
Philip Cobbold

Tesco only use large Barker cards for end of aisle promotions now though, so all promotional advertising in an aisle will be on a normal sized SEL.
Cache

Tesco's shares have fallen 15%, reportedly wiping over £4b from the value of the company. BBC News. This is in response to disappointing sales figures over the Christmas period.
Pete

Some examples of yet more Tesco deception / cheapness.

1. There is a massive poster at the end of an asile with £3.50 in massive letters and a big photo of toilet rolls and kitchen roll. However it actually reads "From £3.50" (the from being much smaller) as the kitchen roll is actually £5.

2. The Christmas tat is still only half price or slightly less. Nobody is willing to pay £2 for wrapping paper on the 12th of Jan and it is therefore not shifting at all.

3. Starbucks Christmas Coffee Mug giftsets. Reduced to £3.75 because they've taken the coffee out of it and put it on the shelf to make more money.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Pete wrote:2. The Christmas tat is still only half price or slightly less. Nobody is willing to pay £2 for wrapping paper on the 12th of Jan and it is therefore not shifting at all.
I suppose it depends on the store, as I went in today and all of the Christmas stuff had 75% off - then again there wasn't much left.

I did manage to buy some Gü Lemon Cheesecakes today that were reduced from £3.59 to 35p - such a reduction for short dates at Tesco is unusual.
Alexia

Two bottles of vinegar in my local Spar - one small, one large.

Both 68p. Cashier confirmed it.
Pete

I note Tesco are in the process of changing over their tills from the classic ones with the massive clackity enter button to a new simpler touch screen affair.

The nice not-really-an-extra Extra down the road had these first and it took a very long time before I saw them appear anywhere else. Presumably they were part of the trial.

At the same time, they were also first with the new self-scan software.

ADVANTAGES
Faster
Lets you just shove your card in the reader and goes straight to the debit card processing screen (none of that old "card acknowledged, please select type" shite).
Adding your own bags doesn't make it have a total heart attack
Adding your bag re-use points at the end doesn't take an ice age

DISADVANTAGES
They've tidied up the loose stuff into neater folders but have also gone and removed the shortcuts to big sellers such as the Onions, Bananas, Creme Egg buttons. Not everyone knows 50201600 off by heart you know.

Unless it was a trial, I'd have thought that the new software would just be an all at once rollout though, I can understand them taking their time installing new hardware but for things like that you'd think it'd be quicker.
"He has to be larger than bacon"