The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

james2001

Yes, the one in Worksop still has the old logo and some typewriter signage around and the red & cream stripes around the walls. Though sadly they took down the aisle signage a few years back, there's still a "thanks for shopping as Tesco" sign in that style above the exit, and an 80s red & white no smoking sign.
Critique

Popped into the ASDA in Norwich today as I went past, and unbeknownst it seemed to have been refitted fairly recently, featuring the new logo with the Walmart 'sun' on it, whilst looking fairly fresh inside. Good to see only the current logo everywhere with no mishmash of old and knew, and the signage and everything looked quite fresh and bright. Had a McDonald's in-store too (with the self-serve drinks I'd never seen before), and self-service checkouts with conveyors, which I hadn't seen for years. ASDA's self-service checkouts also seem to be the only ones that keep a digital display purely for signing for your purchase for whatever reason. All the shelving in the main food isles was white however, which did look a bit cheap IMO.

My favourite part of it, however, was that they seemed to have lost some of the numbers they use to display petrol prices in those massive totems, and so had printed out a few digits onto pieces of A4 and stuck them in the display!
Pete

Critique wrote: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 21.51My favourite part of it, however, was that they seemed to have lost some of the numbers they use to display petrol prices in those massive totems, and so had printed out a few digits onto pieces of A4 and stuck them in the display!
I don't think I've seen a non LED one in ages.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Critique

In contrast, I see non-LED petrol prices on totem signs all the time!

In other news, Tesco are buying Booker then! I wonder what'll happen to the Premier and Family Shopper fascists?
Jovis

Critique wrote: Fri 27 Jan, 2017 08.19Premier and Family Shopper fascists?
I enjoyed reading this, thank you
WillPS

Critique wrote: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 21.51 Popped into the ASDA in Norwich today as I went past, and unbeknownst it seemed to have been refitted fairly recently, featuring the new logo with the Walmart 'sun' on it, whilst looking fairly fresh inside. Good to see only the current logo everywhere with no mishmash of old and knew, and the signage and everything looked quite fresh and bright. Had a McDonald's in-store too (with the self-serve drinks I'd never seen before), and self-service checkouts with conveyors, which I hadn't seen for years. ASDA's self-service checkouts also seem to be the only ones that keep a digital display purely for signing for your purchase for whatever reason. All the shelving in the main food isles was white however, which did look a bit cheap IMO.

My favourite part of it, however, was that they seemed to have lost some of the numbers they use to display petrol prices in those massive totems, and so had printed out a few digits onto pieces of A4 and stuck them in the display!
Apart from a very brief trial at Sainsburys, those Topaz input pads have never been used in the UK. As I understand it, there are some legal issues around digital record keeping and very little desire from anyone to sort the issue out on all levels.

Asda's POS hardware is common with what is used by Walmart in the States where I believe signing for stuff is still the norm (or was until recently). It's fun to have a scribble on them while their very slow clunky Chip & Pin kicks in (they haven't implemented Contactless support for Amex cards).
Critique

Jovis wrote: Fri 27 Jan, 2017 16.34
Critique wrote: Fri 27 Jan, 2017 08.19Premier and Family Shopper fascists?
I enjoyed reading this, thank you
Haha, a typo but I suspect some might agree all the same!
WillPS wrote: Sun 29 Jan, 2017 17.52
Critique wrote: Wed 25 Jan, 2017 21.51 Popped into the ASDA in Norwich today as I went past, and unbeknownst it seemed to have been refitted fairly recently, featuring the new logo with the Walmart 'sun' on it, whilst looking fairly fresh inside. Good to see only the current logo everywhere with no mishmash of old and knew, and the signage and everything looked quite fresh and bright. Had a McDonald's in-store too (with the self-serve drinks I'd never seen before), and self-service checkouts with conveyors, which I hadn't seen for years. ASDA's self-service checkouts also seem to be the only ones that keep a digital display purely for signing for your purchase for whatever reason. All the shelving in the main food isles was white however, which did look a bit cheap IMO.

Apart from a very brief trial at Sainsburys, those Topaz input pads have never been used in the UK. As I understand it, there are some legal issues around digital record keeping and very little desire from anyone to sort the issue out on all levels.

Asda's POS hardware is common with what is used by Walmart in the States where I believe signing for stuff is still the norm (or was until recently). It's fun to have a scribble on them while their very slow clunky Chip & Pin kicks in (they haven't implemented Contactless support for Amex cards).
Interesting that the signature pads have no use here - I think a couple of branches of Tesco (or maybe Sainsbury's based on what you've said) I've been in still have them as part of their old self-service checkouts (the ones with a coin slot rather than the scoop and that are a lot wider) perhaps, although again aren't used?
WillPS

Definitely not used for anything. If for whatever reason you need to sign something a slip will be printed (and then inserted in to the coupon slot).
Critique

WillPS wrote: Mon 30 Jan, 2017 00.02 Definitely not used for anything. If for whatever reason you need to sign something a slip will be printed (and then inserted in to the coupon slot).
Oh yes, one of the card readers on a self-service checkout in a nearby Sainsbury's Local has been rubbish for some time, and if using it I've often had to sign for my purchase, which usually results in a slightly bewildered member of staff running around trying to find a pen and remember the process!
Pete

bilky asko wrote: Thu 12 Jan, 2017 14.34 Just saw those (sans product categories) hanging in my local Tesco two nights ago. They've been mounted perpendicular to the old signs, so you can see them as you walk along the back wall or the tills.

I think they look rather nice.
Yes we've just had these installed in the last day or so (I'd wondered why they'd not been getting replacement panels for the older cardboard signs). Having them so you can see them from the centre aisle is a bit odd though, you get used to the tennis walk looking up and down the ailses.

Also it means that when you are in an aisle you can't glance up and see what's in it, or give someone the aisle number if you've lost them elsewhere. Plus there is only one category per sign now which is a bit odd, esp for aisles such as tea, coffee and loo roll.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
all new Phil

Not sold on these new SELs Tesco are using, they're not very Tesco.