The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

marksi

I've never had any problems with Tesco home delivery. I think it's a great service and I've no reason to complain about short-dated items or substituted items at all.

I live on the edge of the town, there is a medium sized Co-Op about 15 minutes walk away, along with plenty of independent fruit and veg shops in the town centre. I tend to use those for fresh items (or pick up stuff in the large Centra store attached to the Texaco garage), but do a big shop online about once a month.

I absolutely detest food shopping. It's worse than ironing.
wells

Don't you just love, The Co-Operative Food's clean and fresh branding? it's certainly as good as any other big food retailers offer us.
TG

marksi wrote:I've never had any problems with Tesco home delivery. I think it's a great service and I've no reason to complain about short-dated items or substituted items at all.
You sure we've not got you on the pay roll? ;)
marksi

wells wrote:Don't you just love, The Co-Operative Food's clean and fresh branding? it's certianly as good as any other big food retailers offer us.
Our local Co-Op is far too small and they've tried to pack in as much as they can, which is fine, except that the aisles are now far too narrow and you can barely pass someone with a basket never mind a trolley.
Nini
Banned

wells wrote:Don't you just love, The Co-Operative Food's clean and fresh branding? it's certianly as good as any other big food retailers offer us.
It's like barcy's died and reincarnated himself into your fingers there.
wells

marksi wrote:
Our local Co-Op is far too small and they've tried to pack in as much as they can, which is fine, except that the aisles are now far too narrow and you can barely pass someone with a basket never mind a trolley.
My local Co-Op was called Stars for all my life then it re branded to Spar for a couple of years, then re branded back to Stars for a bit and last year it became a Co-Op food. It's quite a small one aswell.

They don't seem to sell Giant Cadbury Buttons however.
Nick Harvey
God

Gavin Scott wrote:For those who online shop - do you have a supermarket within walking distance?
Depends what you mean by within walking distance?

I'd happily walk there and back again for an odd item or two, but there's no way I'd walk back with all the bags from a week's shop.

The wine alone would probably do me in.
TG

People within walking distance are some of our best customers!

The store's there pretty much in sight of their living room windows, and I guess they also see the hordes of people and think "fuck fighting with them - let's get it delivered."

Just feels a bit daft when they're at the end of your route - and their shopping's been on a 40 mile round trip just to get 200 yards to them...
wells

TG wrote:People within walking distance are some of our best customers!

The store's there pretty much in sight of their living room windows, and I guess they also see the hordes of people and think "fuck fighting with them - let's get it delivered."

Just feels a bit daft when they're at the end of your route - and their shopping's been on a 40 mile round trip just to get 200 yards to them...
But they cant take the trolleys off the car-park.
Gavin Scott
Admin

This might sound a daft question, but what constitutes a "weekly" or "monthly" shop?

If I know I need, say, loo roll then I buy it when I'm picking up veg or bread (and ciggies and diet coke). Same goes for toothpaste or razors or cleaning products. Things run out at different times. I've never (since I moved into my flat) done a "big shop".

Am I missing out or just saving money?
TG

Wells: No, but these people often seem to order three or four times weekly and have delivered to their doors far less than they could probably carry anyway...

Gav: People tend to do "big" shops once a month or so - usually when the BOGOF and such offers have changed over. Inbetween times it's just the bits n bobs that leave you wondering why they bothered at all, sometimes...

(I mean...c'mon. One block of cheese, a frozen ready meal, two apples and a loaf? And the same amount again to deliver it? It has been known...)