The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

JoshX

I believe you also had free access to the short-lived ITV magazine?
Whataday

Asda sale confirmed, putting the store under British ownership again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54383131

I expect this to lead to a rapid expansion in convenience stores.
WillPS

It'll be interesting to see how Asda unpicks itself from Walmart's infrastructure and influence.

What happens to George?

I hope it doesn't mean the end of Asda's very keen fuel pricing policy; for years they have consistently been a negative influence on fuel pricing in any area they serve.
m-in-m

WillPS wrote: Fri 02 Oct, 2020 21.29 It'll be interesting to see how Asda unpicks itself from Walmart's infrastructure and influence.

What happens to George?

I hope it doesn't mean the end of Asda's very keen fuel pricing policy; for years they have consistently been a negative influence on fuel pricing in any area they serve.
Walmart are retaining an equity stake apparently which may reduce some of the technical challenges.
Whataday

Walmart retains a minority stake so will be represented on the new board. This will ensure Asda continues to benefit from strong buying power and should avoid any technical nightmares.

The deal includes George, and Asda has today made a commitment to remain a price leader in the supermarket fuel sector.
Nick Harvey
God

Whataday wrote: Asda has today made a commitment to remain a price leader in the supermarket fuel sector.
I would expect that to be the case, given that the main business of the two brothers who have bought Asda is in petrol retailing.
thegeek

WillPS wrote: Fri 02 Oct, 2020 21.29
What happens to George?

the George brand seems to exist as a standalone entity in some countries - I'm fairly sure I saw a label on some clothes with washing instructions in a language of a country where Walmart doesn't have a presence. (It is, of course, also used as an own-brand clothing label in Walmart itself).

So do we need to have a competition a few years down the line to spot the last surviving Asda logo with Walmart sunburst?
DJDave

thegeek wrote: Sat 03 Oct, 2020 07.14
WillPS wrote: Fri 02 Oct, 2020 21.29
What happens to George?

the George brand seems to exist as a standalone entity in some countries - I'm fairly sure I saw a label on some clothes with washing instructions in a language of a country where Walmart doesn't have a presence. (It is, of course, also used as an own-brand clothing label in Walmart itself).

So do we need to have a competition a few years down the line to spot the last surviving Asda logo with Walmart sunburst?
My local Asda only added this logo to the store about 2-3 years ago, it was the only one in the area to get it (and their is a fair few round here) I think it was dropped by the company a few months after it got it.
Philip

That logo was always a strange thing - why wait so long to introduce Wal-mart branding to Asda in such a way? And then a year or so later it was quietly ditched after they'd already started putting signage up that featured it.

Personally I'm hoping one day they'll reintroduce this one, purely because it was on the huge carrier bag my mum had that all the other carrier bags went into (proving that when it comes to your own family, there's always at least one Peter Kay joke that rings true)

WillPS

Philip wrote: Sat 03 Oct, 2020 10.53 That logo was always a strange thing - why wait so long to introduce Wal-mart branding to Asda in such a way?
I'm guessing you never had these up your region:

It occurred around the time they were doing things like using the Walmart branding for their Black Friday sales. Clearly the plan for Asda changed.
Philip

No, although I was aware of them. I edited out a bit of my post that said '(I know they had 'Part of the Wal-mart family' on the carrier bags and those 'Asda Wal-mart Supercentres')'