The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

all new Phil

There was new software on the self checkout when I went to the local Express store earlier. It was all white with blue text, with items appearing on a list to the right. The employee nearby was telling anyone who’d listen how much she hated it.
bilky asko

Was it like this, perchance?

(Apologies for the slightly Shatliffed thumbnail - the uploader did that)

That was the combined Scan and Go and self service till I used.

Regarding being able to park the trolley over the basket bit, that works for only two of the self service till at my local store, as the other two have bins underneath the basket shelf.

My nearest Morrisons, at the other end of the scale, has a chewing gum stand on the basket part, so you have to unload the basket carefully to stop it from falling off.
tillyoshea

james2001 wrote: Wed 14 Feb, 2018 19.51
WillPS wrote: Wed 14 Feb, 2018 09.57 Tesco are going to launch a 'discounter' Aldi/Lidl-like format: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... i-and-lidl

There's talk that they're going to dig up an old brand for the chain; my money's on Wm Low...
Delamare maybe? I actually found an old Delamare label recently, I was going to scan it and post it here, but I forgot.
Or Victor Value? That was the brand they dug up last time they tried launching a discounter... though perhaps the fate of that attempt rules it out.
all new Phil

bilky asko wrote: Sun 18 Feb, 2018 01.55 Was it like this, perchance?

(Apologies for the slightly Shatliffed thumbnail - the uploader did that)

That was the combined Scan and Go and self service till I used.

Regarding being able to park the trolley over the basket bit, that works for only two of the self service till at my local store, as the other two have bins underneath the basket shelf.

My nearest Morrisons, at the other end of the scale, has a chewing gum stand on the basket part, so you have to unload the basket carefully to stop it from falling off.
That’s the one. Apparently “customers are getting confused because they don’t know how to pay, it just says pay rather than finish and pay”. Seemed pretty straight forward to me :lol:
woolly

Pete wrote: Sat 17 Feb, 2018 18.29 Oh, and apparently that Sainsburys software is being rolled out again (albeit without the "cloud" backend). I saw it for the first time in a supermarket last week, in Bispham. Joy of joys.
Oh EPOS (what they called it before I left atleast). They said it would finally be fully rolled out by end of 2017, but I guess the problems with it were never ironed out, after years and years of trying...
Critique

I was in ASDA recently and noticed that at the conveyor belt self-checkouts they had, in the bagging area, there was a label explaining how to convert the entire thing into a much taller shelf-type thing - is this a self-service checkout that can be converted to being manned? If so, do they ever actually convert them to manned operation? I can't imagine staff particularly enjoying the clunky UI (which no doubt is still slower than the ancient tills that operators actually use)!
Pete

Critique wrote: Sun 18 Feb, 2018 15.47 I was in ASDA recently and noticed that at the conveyor belt self-checkouts they had, in the bagging area, there was a label explaining how to convert the entire thing into a much taller shelf-type thing - is this a self-service checkout that can be converted to being manned? If so, do they ever actually convert them to manned operation? I can't imagine staff particularly enjoying the clunky UI (which no doubt is still slower than the ancient tills that operators actually use)!
The belted asda ones, and the V6 machines, can basically spin their computer around to turn into a manned checkout. Presumably this also disables the scales and other things. At B&Q with the nixdorf lumps, we just used to disable the scale when it was a member of staff shopping because it made it about five times faster. It's the security scale, and associated voice over fussing, that slows self scans down.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Critique wrote: Sun 18 Feb, 2018 15.47 I was in ASDA recently and noticed that at the conveyor belt self-checkouts they had, in the bagging area, there was a label explaining how to convert the entire thing into a much taller shelf-type thing - is this a self-service checkout that can be converted to being manned? If so, do they ever actually convert them to manned operation? I can't imagine staff particularly enjoying the clunky UI (which no doubt is still slower than the ancient tills that operators actually use)!
They changed all the tills at ASDA in York to the convertible type a while back. It soon changed back to standard tills and a few convertible tills, with none of them used in their manned format.

My nearest WHSmith has two convertible self-service tills - they were manned on occasion when they first appeared.

EDIT: Not really the right thread, but as we're on the subject: I went to the Co-op yesterday. They still have the same old Wincor Nixdorf self-service tills, but now they use the same voice as the ones at Lidl.

Possibly as a result, they are even slower than before, with the coin conveyor stalling randomly, and then restarting, and the ATM style metal shield over the note acceptor randomly opening and closing, and taking 10 seconds to realise I wanted to put a note in.
Alexia

Do you think in future it would be possible to have an iPhone X camera IR style system to measure the size and shape of an object put into the bagging area rather than the weight?
dosxuk

Alexia wrote: Sun 18 Feb, 2018 20.54 Do you think in future it would be possible to have an iPhone X camera IR style system to measure the size and shape of an object put into the bagging area rather than the weight?
I can't imagine that being any more reliable, easy or idiot-proof than weighing.
jonathan

Pete wrote: Sun 18 Feb, 2018 16.57
The belted asda ones, and the V6 machines, can basically spin their computer around to turn into a manned checkout. Presumably this also disables the scales and other things. At B&Q with the nixdorf lumps, we just used to disable the scale when it was a member of staff shopping because it made it about five times faster. It's the security scale, and associated voice over fussing, that slows self scans down.
The scales on the self checkout at my local Waitrose are permanently disabled - makes for a speedy checkout.