The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

SirKen

Very interesting, do you mind if I lift it for the blog?

I always credit, I also borrow observations off her for my twitter (@dresserman) so much love to you all for that.

Tesco - well, Price drop 3 has launched and I don't recall anything from price drop 2 that was any good. What does it mean? It's not EDLP as the offers ends, they're just price cuts that end after 12 weeks and have a lot of advertising alongside it.

-0.9% like for like last time and the City seemed quite happy. Very strange.
Pete

by all means have them :)
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

SirKen wrote:Very interesting, do you mind if I lift it for the blog?

I always credit, I also borrow observations off her for my twitter (@dresserman) so much love to you all for that.

Tesco - well, Price drop 3 has launched and I don't recall anything from price drop 2 that was any good. What does it mean? It's not EDLP as the offers ends, they're just price cuts that end after 12 weeks and have a lot of advertising alongside it.

-0.9% like for like last time and the City seemed quite happy. Very strange.
They were expecting the loss of non-food sales to hit harder I think.

This whole Pricedrop thing is less convincing than Rollback - and I don't truly believe anybody fell for that.

Tesco need rebrand quite quickly. Their tag-line 'every little helps' is iconic but meaningless as nobody believes Tesco truly offer anything extra to the mix - big or small. I'd say their customer service was the beyond poor but after a bad experience at Morrisons today I'm less inclined to.
Sput

"we control every aspect of your life" perhaps?
Knight knight
Pete

or the old nestle slogan "go on, try to boycott us, you'll fail"
Pete

Here, meanwhile (and do click to view this in full) is a nice fun game of "try to decipher the offer". A prize to the firs to manage it.
bilky asko

Pete wrote:Image

Here, meanwhile (and do click to view this in full) is a nice fun game of "try to decipher the offer". A prize to the firs to manage it.
If you buy one of every item in the store, some of those items will be affected by that offer?
woah

I read it as buy some pasta, and get Tesco Finest pasta sauce half price - but the way you're making it out suggests it's not that simple.
bilky asko

woah wrote:I read it as buy some pasta, and get Tesco Finest pasta sauce half price - but the way you're making it out suggests it's not that simple.
It seems that way to me as well - it's the way its laid out, and the huge "Half Price" that makes it seem like the pasta is half price to a person not scanning the whole ticket.
Pete

woah wrote:I read it as buy some pasta, and get Tesco Finest pasta sauce half price - but the way you're making it out suggests it's not that simple.
Well that is essentially the offer. My issues are with the design of the ticket and with the fact the two items were not next to one another on the shelf.

Also consider how these look when you're not carefully reading the labels that I've highlighted in closeup pictures. It just reads as "half price" which they are not.

This is where Tesco's policy of not using barkers (or talkers as they call them) within the aisles really lets itself down. You can't explain an offer of this sort on a standard SEL.
bilky asko

Pete wrote:
Well that is essentially the offer. My issues are with the design of the ticket and with the fact the two items were not next to one another on the shelf.

Also consider how these look when you're not carefully reading the labels that I've highlighted in closeup pictures. It just reads as "half price" which they are not.

This is where Tesco's policy of not using barkers (or talkers as they call them) within the aisles really lets itself down. You can't explain an offer of this sort on a standard SEL.
Indeed. I think it looks a little untidy as well having differently coloured SELs everywhere.

Unfortunately I haven't spotted any price gaffes at Tesco - but I do have these two from Sainsbury's and from a recently closed Co-operative, taken a couple of months ago or so: