The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Jamesypoo

Going back to the East of England Co-Op, there was a report on Look East tonight about it with shots of various stores in its portfolio. As you can see they're undertaking a much needed refresh of the whole brand. The previous logo was incredibly clunky and many of their stores that I've visited are incredibly dated inside. The new look is a million times better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27145570
Critique

Jamesypoo wrote:Going back to the East of England Co-Op, there was a report on Look East tonight about it with shots of various stores in its portfolio. As you can see they're undertaking a much needed refresh of the whole brand. The previous logo was incredibly clunky and many of their stores that I've visited are incredibly dated inside. The new look is a million times better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27145570
Ooh, didn't think they'd refurbished any of the stores, apart from putting some window transfers with the new logo on at the Framlingham store, but the ones in the video that they have refurbished look very nice!
thegeek

Tesco Bank has launched a current account. It's a little underwhelming: 3% credit interest is nae bad, and the mobile app looks nice, but the rewards in Clubcard points for using your debit card can easily be beaten by using credit cards (including Tesco's own).
Critique

Netto is coming back. The article says it is an attempt to take on Aldi and Lidl, with the first five stores opening up north by the end of the year. Quite surprised to see Sainsbury's doing this - I thought Morrisons were the ones who should be getting concerned about their state of affairs?

ASDA, of course, purchased all the old Nettos four or so years ago.
WillPS

Critique wrote:Netto is coming back. The article says it is an attempt to take on Aldi and Lidl, with the first five stores opening up north by the end of the year. Quite surprised to see Sainsbury's doing this - I thought Morrisons were the ones who should be getting concerned about their state of affairs?

ASDA, of course, purchased all the old Nettos four or so years ago.
I'm not surprised to see Dansk returning to the UK. Their announcement of sale left the door wide open.

From Dansk's point of view it definitely makes sense - their UK offer was nowhere near as refined as Lidl/Aldi's and I'm sure JS will be able to sort that out. Their site already gives a major clue of how things will differ (bigging up an in store bakery - something Netto UK never had).

I think the next few years will be difficult for JS though, generally. Apart from anything - when a long time CEO makes exit plans I tend to think they can foresee troubles coming.
Pete

Lidl's now have instore bakeries however I find them very poor. (Are they even bake off or are they just a sort of greggs fresh delivery thing?)

Branches in Germany often have a local bakery renting space within the shop rather than a Lidl owned one.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote:Lidl's now have instore bakeries however I find them very poor. (Are they even bake off or are they just a sort of greggs fresh delivery thing?)

Branches in Germany often have a local bakery renting space within the shop rather than a Lidl owned one.
I think they're quite good on the bread and pastry products but not so great on the sweet items. It must be bake-off, they have ovens and that (typically just beside the bakery).
Alexia

Philip

I wonder where they got the Tesco font from?
Alexia

Philip wrote:I wonder where they got the Tesco font from?
:shock:
Philip

Alexia wrote:
Philip wrote:I wonder where they got the Tesco font from?
:shock:
Just wondering. Was it employers of the shop who made the labels themselves and have put them across the store? Was it an outside organisation that did it? You posted two images without any context.