The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Jonwo

thegeek wrote: Fri 05 Mar, 2021 20.31 A friend sent me a picture of it this evening with a bigger queue to get in than my local big Tesco usually has.
It's a day out for some people at the moment! I'm sure the novelty will wear off once they expand the number of stores.
all new Phil

Given that checkouts are the biggest bottleneck and drain on labour in supermarkets, I’m convinced this setup is the future. That said, it baffles me how many supermarkets still don’t even have self checkout.
Jonwo

all new Phil wrote: Fri 05 Mar, 2021 22.05 Given that checkouts are the biggest bottleneck and drain on labour in supermarkets, I’m convinced this setup is the future. That said, it baffles me how many supermarkets still don’t even have self checkout.
I think for smaller supermarkets, it's a no brainer but I'm not sure if it'll work in the bigger out of town ones. You'll still need someone present for age restricted products like alcohol and energy drinks unless the QR code on the app will be restricted to anyone over 18.
Martin Phillp

Jonwo wrote: Fri 05 Mar, 2021 18.43 Will be interesting how the Amazon Go store does in Ealing. It's a bit far for me to visit at the moment so I probably wait until the Stay at Home order is dropped to have a nosey.
I'll try it out once the restrictions are lifted. I still don't fancy using the tube at the moment.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

all new Phil wrote: Fri 05 Mar, 2021 22.05 Given that checkouts are the biggest bottleneck and drain on labour in supermarkets, I’m convinced this setup is the future. That said, it baffles me how many supermarkets still don’t even have self checkout.
Uniqlo and Decathlon have an RFID-based checkout system - you put your shopping bag in a big bucket on the counter and it instantly adds it up. I wonder whether anyone's trialled this for food - or if it would be a pain in the arse by making everything unrecyclable.
AJ

I went there yesterday on the way home from work.

It's a decent setup, and the lines you get in there are similar to what you'd expect in a Tesco Express or Sainsbury's Local.

The alcohol is tucked away at the back of the store, with security manning it and checking IDs before you go and look at the booze.

Pricing is reasonable too - again, in the realms of the little shops.

The tech seems pretty accurate. I did get a freebie because the sensors didn't pick up that I had grabbed two of something. Other than that, the receipt came through about an hour after I left, and I was charged just after that.
Jonwo

This slipped under the radar, another Amazon Fresh store has opened at Wembley Park. I find it interesting that they've gone for places like Ealing and Wembley first and not areas like Chiswick or Islington.
JAS84

Waitrose to ditch magazines with plastic toys stuck to the covers. That's basically every kids mag except the Beano gone from their shelves then.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56456170
Nick Harvey
God

JAS84 wrote: Waitrose to ditch magazines with plastic toys stuck to the covers. That's basically every kids mag except the Beano gone from their shelves then.
That will also help the accounting a little.

Magazines with anything attached to the front are a pain, as the magazine itself is exempt from VAT while the item attached is rated at 20%.

Wholesalers have to notify newsagents of the value of the "free" gift, as part of the total magazine price, so the newsagent can do his VAT return.
Jonwo

Amazon Fresh has opened its third store after Ealing and Wembley, this time in White City. Strange that they opted for another West London location.
Whataday

M&S is taking legal action against Aldi for ripping off Colin The Caterpillar. Aldi's own version is Cuthbert The Caterpillar.

Twitter appears to be in Aldi's favour, with many pointing out that every other supermarket has their own version too. Also M&S hardly invented caterpillar birthday cakes.

M&S said:
“Love and care goes into every product on our shelves. So we want to protect Colin, Connie and our reputation for freshness, quality, innovation and value.”
Aldi responded: