The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Sput

I don't know about Gav, but I tend to accumulate vast quantities of change and only get rid of it in big batches, so coinstair is both a blessing (convenience) and a curse (so many percent!)
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Sput wrote:I don't know about Gav, but I tend to accumulate vast quantities of change and only get rid of it in big batches, so coinstair is both a blessing (convenience) and a curse (so many percent!)
VAST.

I store mine up in a lifesize Stormtrooper helmet piggy bank, and don't empty until I'm past the eyebrows.
WillPS

Cheers Alexia. I was sent the picture by my friend who lives in Wales. It's been that way for a while apparently - Christ knows what the advantage is of operating 2 shops side by side but they were apparently both busy.

This retail relic lay around the corner too:
Gavin Scott wrote:
Pete wrote:The Tesco tills are pretty generous when it comes to accepting notes and coins. They certainly accept worse condition copper than the coinstar machines do.
That's because, unlike Coinstar, they're going to give the coins back out to another customer - so they probably don't care.
That's actually only true of the latest batch of Fastlanes (v5 they're called in JS), the ones with the scoopy change drop. Older ones deposit all their coinage in one big metal box, believe it or not.
Gavin Scott
Admin

WillPS wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote:That's because, unlike Coinstar, they're going to give the coins back out to another customer - so they probably don't care.
That's actually only true of the latest batch of Fastlanes (v5 they're called in JS), the ones with the scoopy change drop. Older ones deposit all their coinage in one big metal box, believe it or not.
Brand new city Sainsburys in Leith - scoopy coin thing.

I'm a dab hand at it now - I'm way faster than the wee wummin at the till.
WillPS

Gavin Scott wrote:
WillPS wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote:That's because, unlike Coinstar, they're going to give the coins back out to another customer - so they probably don't care.
Brand new city Sainsburys in Leith - scoopy coin thing.

I'm a dab hand at it now - I'm way faster than the wee wummin at the till.
Heh. Back when I was at college the Tesco Metro in Nottingham was our normal spot for lunch, and they had some of the trial Fastlanes in. At first, these didn't have PIN pads, nor did they ask for signature, you just swiped your card and through it went. This led to a competition amongst us called "3 item Olympics", where the aim was to get through the checkout in as quick a time as possible. I was pretty proud of my 14 seconds.
scottishtv

Gavin Scott wrote:Brand new city Sainsburys in Leith - scoopy coin thing.
Geez, I noticed this week that a new Local has popped up at the West Port off the Grassmarket and then saw another Local in Stockbridge. I often wonder how rapid store opening programmes impact further back up the supply chain. I wonder where the distribution centre for Scotland is?

A friend was telling me that the first store in the Highlands opened last week. A quick Google found some pics. Rather a lot of Gaelic signage. Meh.
Gavin Scott
Admin

There's another new one being kitted out at the exit of Glasgow Queen Street station, I saw yesterday.
scottishtv

Gavin Scott wrote:There's another new one being kitted out at the exit of Glasgow Queen Street station, I saw yesterday.
Huh?! That must be a full 3-4 minute walk from the Buchanan Galleries store.
WillPS

Doesn't putting Gaelic first/above English imply that Gaelic is the first language of Scotland/the local area?

Seems a little OTT to me but then I'm not a Scot.
m-in-m

WillPS wrote:Doesn't putting Gaelic first/above English imply that Gaelic is the first language of Scotland/the local area?

Seems a little OTT to me but then I'm not a Scot.
The Entertainment sign is also not consistent - displaying both on one line rather than the two line approach elsewhere. Do people not check for continuity.

Also I note the promotional POS is in English only - seems like a half hearted effort.
scottishtv

m-in-m wrote:seems like a half hearted effort.
Exactly. I doubt even a hundred or so people in that town (of several thousand) are familiar with the language. It's meaningless pandering to local authority 'guidance'. I find it irritating that Gaelic should come before English as if it is worthy of such status. There are probably no other shops in the area with any such dual-signage, it's simply not an area where the language is used much.