The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

sqwidge1978
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat 25 Jun, 2016 15.42

Tesco (Bookers) seem to be moving Jack's over to a 'Symbol Brand' convenience store format.

https://www.facebook.com/JacksofBlantyre/

The first store opens in Blantyre in Scotland following the rebranding of the Family Shopper store.


This follows a roll out of Jack's products to One Stop at the start of September, and to Londis/Budgens towards the end of September.

https://www.talkingretail.com/news/indu ... 8-10-2020/
gottago
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 19.50

I've just tried Aldi on Deliveroo and it's a bit of a game changer for me. It's a flat £4.99 delivery fee but Deliveroo Plus actually includes the supermarkets so you could do a weekly shop and not pay more that their £11ish monthly charge. The range is certainly more limited but there's enough there to do a big-ish shop and even with the slight increase in prices compared to in store it's still much cheaper to get this delivered to my door over going to my nearest supermarket Waitrose.

I ordered it at 11am, it said delivery would be between 11:30 and 12pm but ended up being 12:30, which I was kind of expecting given how often I've had Deliveroo drivers give up on waiting round for takeaways that aren't ready (the app said it was Aldi that was being slow in this case). But given I'm working from home a delay of a few hours is no issue for me. I'd be interested to know how this works in store given how few staff members each branch has. Presumably someone who'd otherwise be stocking shelves has to quickly run round and fulfil the order?

I know Amazon have been doing short delivery turnarounds with Morrisons for some time but given the struggles so many have had to get online delivery slots over the last seven months to be able to order it and potentially get it half an hour later (although realistically within two hours) is quite something.
User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

gottago wrote: Tue 27 Oct, 2020 12.50 I've just tried Aldi on Deliveroo and it's a bit of a game changer for me. It's a flat £4.99 delivery fee but Deliveroo Plus actually includes the supermarkets so you could do a weekly shop and not pay more that their £11ish monthly charge. The range is certainly more limited but there's enough there to do a big-ish shop and even with the slight increase in prices compared to in store it's still much cheaper to get this delivered to my door over going to my nearest supermarket Waitrose.

I ordered it at 11am, it said delivery would be between 11:30 and 12pm but ended up being 12:30, which I was kind of expecting given how often I've had Deliveroo drivers give up on waiting round for takeaways that aren't ready (the app said it was Aldi that was being slow in this case). But given I'm working from home a delay of a few hours is no issue for me. I'd be interested to know how this works in store given how few staff members each branch has. Presumably someone who'd otherwise be stocking shelves has to quickly run round and fulfil the order?

I know Amazon have been doing short delivery turnarounds with Morrisons for some time but given the struggles so many have had to get online delivery slots over the last seven months to be able to order it and potentially get it half an hour later (although realistically within two hours) is quite something.
The store nearest me was the first to trial it. I was put off by the lack of choice on their 'assorted SKUs', e.g. things like laundry tabs where I might end up with a fragrance I wouldn't choose.

First world problems.
Image
Martin Phillp
Posts: 1078
Joined: Wed 11 May, 2011 01.28

gottago wrote: Tue 27 Oct, 2020 12.50 I've just tried Aldi on Deliveroo and it's a bit of a game changer for me. It's a flat £4.99 delivery fee but Deliveroo Plus actually includes the supermarkets so you could do a weekly shop and not pay more that their £11ish monthly charge. The range is certainly more limited but there's enough there to do a big-ish shop and even with the slight increase in prices compared to in store it's still much cheaper to get this delivered to my door over going to my nearest supermarket Waitrose.

I ordered it at 11am, it said delivery would be between 11:30 and 12pm but ended up being 12:30, which I was kind of expecting given how often I've had Deliveroo drivers give up on waiting round for takeaways that aren't ready (the app said it was Aldi that was being slow in this case). But given I'm working from home a delay of a few hours is no issue for me. I'd be interested to know how this works in store given how few staff members each branch has. Presumably someone who'd otherwise be stocking shelves has to quickly run round and fulfil the order?

I know Amazon have been doing short delivery turnarounds with Morrisons for some time but given the struggles so many have had to get online delivery slots over the last seven months to be able to order it and potentially get it half an hour later (although realistically within two hours) is quite something.
Deliveroo/Just Eat/Uber Eats operates like the cab apps, if the Deliveroo person cancels the job, it'll be allocated to another person nearby who'll take over the delivery.
TVF's London Lite.
gottago
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 19.50

Have fireworks been on sale in supermarkets this year? I don't really live near any that normally stock them so can't tell if things are different, I completely forgot it was Bonfire Night until seeing it on Twitter.
bilky asko
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 19.48

gottago wrote: Thu 05 Nov, 2020 11.11 Have fireworks been on sale in supermarkets this year? I don't really live near any that normally stock them so can't tell if things are different, I completely forgot it was Bonfire Night until seeing it on Twitter.
I've seen the counter at both Morrisons and Tesco.

On a related note, there were quite a few fireworks set off last night up my end (presumably to get them in pre-lockdown).
Image
Martin Phillp
Posts: 1078
Joined: Wed 11 May, 2011 01.28

Sainsbury's didn't sell fireworks this year.
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 19.48

Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 05 Nov, 2020 22.36 Sainsbury's didn't sell fireworks this year.
They stopped in 2019 as a cost-cutting measure.
Image
Martin Phillp
Posts: 1078
Joined: Wed 11 May, 2011 01.28

bilky asko wrote: Thu 05 Nov, 2020 23.05
Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 05 Nov, 2020 22.36 Sainsbury's didn't sell fireworks this year.
They stopped in 2019 as a cost-cutting measure.
It was a sensible decision considering that for the majority of the time when they were on sale that a member of staff would be standing there not selling many, except for the day or two before November 5th when a small queue would form.
TVF's London Lite.
scottishtv
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 15.36
Location: Edinburgh

bilky asko wrote: Thu 05 Nov, 2020 11.38there were quite a few fireworks set off last night up my end
Hopefully, it wasn't this end.
Philip
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 21.23
Location: Merseyside
Contact:

scottishtv wrote: Fri 06 Nov, 2020 10.25
bilky asko wrote: Thu 05 Nov, 2020 11.38there were quite a few fireworks set off last night up my end
Hopefully, it wasn't this end.
Uploaded by Ben Shatliff.
Image
Please Respond