The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

bilky asko

I was sold, however, on the three 100 Extra Clubcard Points vouchers I got with my latest Clubcard statement - both of which are in the new style (not true with the downloadable points vouchers).
Philip

Why do some Tesco Express stores have an option on the self-service checkouts to print a receipt, and others don't and just print it anyway? Because in stores with the latter, I often have to remove a stack of unwanted receipts and put them in the bin provided that seemingly nobody before me could be bothered putting them in.
Martin Phillp

Philip wrote: Wed 08 Mar, 2017 13.51 Why do some Tesco Express stores have an option on the self-service checkouts to print a receipt, and others don't and just print it anyway? Because in stores with the latter, I often have to remove a stack of unwanted receipts and put them in the bin provided that seemingly nobody before me could be bothered putting them in.
Common at central London Metro/Express stores where it's likely for customers to just spend a couple of pounds on snacks and go without collecting the receipt. M&S also offer that option with some of their in-store foodhall stores.
TVF's London Lite.
Alexia

Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 09 Mar, 2017 20.33
Philip wrote: Wed 08 Mar, 2017 13.51 Why do some Tesco Express stores have an option on the self-service checkouts to print a receipt, and others don't and just print it anyway? Because in stores with the latter, I often have to remove a stack of unwanted receipts and put them in the bin provided that seemingly nobody before me could be bothered putting them in.
Common at central London Metro/Express stores where it's likely for customers to just spend a couple of pounds on snacks and go without collecting the receipt. M&S also offer that option with some of their in-store foodhall stores.
And indeed at the newly reopened Paddington Lawn FoodHall, which is extensive and expensive. Receiptless selfcheckouts also at the Boots and Smiths there, but not at Sainsburys, which has at least now got contactless.
Philip

Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 09 Mar, 2017 20.33
My point is that the option to print a receipt or not should be on all the self-service machines to stop waste and stop a massive pile-up of receipts
Alexia

Having said that, last night in my late-night-booze shop after work at Tesco Express, the man behind the till asked if I wanted my receipt, I declined, he printed it anyway and threw it in the bin!!
JAS84

Asda's new Slimzone range has been recalled, because Slimming World are arguing with them about how good they are for slimmers.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/3128548 ... oss-giant/
ph2o

IMPRESSIVE NEW LOOK TESCO

Tesco Extra, Llansamlet, Swansea revamped with the latest features and services.

New food counters and areas devoted to ‘fresh’.

Retail Week mentions that the "Welsh language predominates as much in-store as it does on the road signs that become bi-lingual immediately after crossing the Severn bridge.

A big white sign stating ‘Becws’ has the word ‘Bakery’, in a slightly smaller font, directly beneath it.

What makes it striking however are the vertically suspended posts that collectively form a plain wood curtain throwing into contrast the signage placed in front of it.

And beneath all of this is the bakery counter itself, consisting of tiered shelves and a healthy looking offer of brown and white breads that wouldn’t look out of place in an artisan bakery.

Also worth noting is the area behind the counter where faux brick walls provide the setting for a rather more dense display of baked produce.

Overall, the bakery area has a distinctly Continental hypermarket look and feel (anybody who can recall Carrefour’s ‘Planet’ hypermarket experiment in Lyons will feel at home with this one), setting the tone in many ways for what follows.

Beyond bakery lie the ‘Pysgod, Dofednod a Cig’ (‘Frozen Fish, Poultry & Meat’) counters and these really do feel as if you have left South Wales and found yourself in one of the big French grocers’ outposts.

This means wood, tiles, blackboards with ‘localised’ messages, “Try our Welsh cheese with crackers & chutneys”, more bilingual directional graphics and a lot of natural daylight, lending it a market feel.

And in the middle of all of this is the fresh fruit and veg area, with equipment heights that are lower that anything else and with wood-clad mid-floor gondolas – a trait that has been one of the defining characteristics of Tesco interiors for a while now."

Looks great! And I like the new font (it's grown on me). I just hope they roll this new concept to the whole estate.
thegeek

it feels quite American. Maybe they learnt something from Fresh & Easy after all.
WillPS

Fresh&Easy looked more like a current Tesco Metro store than that.

Looks brilliant, I hope they roll it out fairly quickly, my nearest Extra is now 7 years old and looks totally knackered - although that's clearly a local issue; Hull St. Stephens is of the same vintage and has an extremely similar layout and that store was very tidy (despite being absolutely heaving on the March Saturday evening I was there).
Pear

WillPS wrote: Fri 21 Apr, 2017 16.29 Fresh&Easy looked more like a current Tesco Metro store than that.

Looks brilliant, I hope they roll it out fairly quickly, my nearest Extra is now 7 years old and looks totally knackered - although that's clearly a local issue; Hull St. Stephens is of the same vintage and has an extremely similar layout and that store was very tidy (despite being absolutely heaving on the March Saturday evening I was there).
The St Stephens store has seen quite a few little refurbishments in that time though. One thing that's always baffled me about that store is that even though it opened 10 years ago, the retractable barrier things that are fitted into the walls of each 'department' (like the opticians and pharmacy) have the pre-1995 Tesco logo on. It's always strange to walk by them on nights or bank holidays when they're closed to see a long line of dated Tesco logos in what is a relatively modern store.