The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Pete

yes that's correct. the way it's meant to work is that you order your food at till 1, which informs the kitchen, and then your food is cooked while you piss about with your self service drinks, and then you hand your barcode receipt over to the second till who also inputs drinks and by the time you sit down your food is ready.

it's probably lower staffing levels meaning they end up running back and forth and, as phil says, either cant or don't know how to change the system to run off one till.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote: Sun 18 Apr, 2021 18.31 Even of the older machines, quite are few are now permanently 'card only' around here.
One of the Tesco Express stores I use has down that with their two NCR terminals. So like Wilko have done, everyone paying by cash has to use the kiosk.
TVF's London Lite.
BBC TV Centre

Martin Phillp wrote: Sun 09 May, 2021 19.43
WillPS wrote: Sun 18 Apr, 2021 18.31 Even of the older machines, quite are few are now permanently 'card only' around here.
One of the Tesco Express stores I use has down that with their two NCR terminals. So like Wilko have done, everyone paying by cash has to use the kiosk.
Maybe Tesco bods read this forum (!!!) - as so happens the shagged hardware I wrote in the other thread has been replaced in my local Express with two shiny new card-only tills. They're a bit like the ones that Waitrose use, all in one unit.

So that's the probable fate which awaits all of the old self-checkouts which have been turned to card only.
Pete

BBC TV Centre wrote: Sun 09 May, 2021 21.39 Maybe Tesco bods read this forum (!!!) - as so happens the shagged hardware I wrote in the other thread has been replaced in my local Express with two shiny new card-only tills. They're a bit like the ones that Waitrose use, all in one unit.

So that's the probable fate which awaits all of the old self-checkouts which have been turned to card only.
are these the ones with the shoddy 2D barcode scanners though? because they're an ordeal and I don't see why they can't have a proper 3D scanner on them given you can get those in guns
WillPS

Pete wrote: Mon 10 May, 2021 08.55
BBC TV Centre wrote: Sun 09 May, 2021 21.39 Maybe Tesco bods read this forum (!!!) - as so happens the shagged hardware I wrote in the other thread has been replaced in my local Express with two shiny new card-only tills. They're a bit like the ones that Waitrose use, all in one unit.

are these the ones with the shoddy 2D barcode scanners though? because they're an ordeal and I don't see why they can't have a proper 3D scanner on them given you can get those in guns
Nah, these are the new Diebold Nixdorf ones.

Not being able to scan QR codes would be an issue given how much Tesco Clubcard uses them - although one of the stores I tend to do my 'big shop' at still has ancient scanners which are not very good at reading them, prompting a lot of wrist flicking to try and get it to recognise.
Pete

WillPS wrote: Mon 10 May, 2021 09.58Nah, these are the new Diebold Nixdorf ones.
how does the software UI compare to the UI on the NCR machines? Have they finished rolling out the newer one they were trailing on the SAYS machines out to the rest of them?
WillPS

Pete wrote: Mon 10 May, 2021 11.19
WillPS wrote: Mon 10 May, 2021 09.58Nah, these are the new Diebold Nixdorf ones.
how does the software UI compare to the UI on the NCR machines? Have they finished rolling out the newer one they were trailing on the SAYS machines out to the rest of them?
Been a good few months since I've seen the original 'big Finish & Pay button' UI (as used by M&S still). Even the ancient ones have the newer 'flat UI' variant (similar to what JS, M, Asda etc use) around here.

I haven't used one of the Diebold machines but from the shot provided they appear to be using the even newer variant as used by some NCR machines - the one with a nicer/more Tesco GUI but annoying 'features' like refusing to allow you to use a Colleague Clubcard and a Tesco Credit Card without using Tesco Pay+.
Beep

Not sure where to put this but here seems like the appropriate place.

I popped in to Wilko Hammersmith King Street today, and saw their SCOs are in fact normal staff operated POS terminals, spun around to face the customer (no weight sensor, even still offering access to Cash Management etc - I wasn't going to try and test it out).

An interesting interim solution, any other stores followed suit?
BBC TV Centre

Pete wrote: Mon 10 May, 2021 08.55

Can't say I ever had the chance to give them a whirl as I had security tagged items which were easier to be done at a manned till, as the poor person behind the kiosk is also is responsible for monitoring the self-checkout and very often comes at the bottom of their list of things to do.
Pete

the absolute worst thing is trying to buy booze on the sainsburys phone app shopping. you have to go to the big checkout and then they have to spend 100 years trying to work out how their wee palm pilot works to transfer it to the till.

you'd expect it'd have the option to go to a self scan and scan an on screen barcode to transfer it to that till like in the big sainsburys but no.
Jonny

Tesco Metro bites the dust:

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/20 ... ss-format/

Interested to see which become Superstores vs Express. Based on store size alone or other factors?