The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Martin Phillp

Sainsbury's has always been the card prompt for me, although you can put cash/coins without pressing the cash button.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Could have been a Wales thing too (what with them having different bag prompts to the rest of the UK).
Philip Cobbold

Pressing the card button happens everywhere now. It was introduced about a year back as part of a software update that also means cashiers on manned checkouts have to press a button on the checkout to take a card payment. Before the checkout would pick up the card as soon as it was put into the reader, which would cause an error if it wasn't the time to take payment.
Martin Phillp

nodnirG kraM wrote: The Co-op's self scan machines are dire to use, made worse by the fact the staff ignore the flashing red beacon and their little administrator's monitor thingy. I can complete an entire self scan transaction in a matter of seconds with Tesco's machinery. Co-op's however is slow, buggy and very user unfriendly. Which is a shame now that I've moved to a house that is 67 seconds' walk to the nearest Co-op. I do wish they would adopt the same systems and software that Tesco uses.
I think the Co-op's self checkouts use the same system as Morrisons, which like them have over sensitive scales and other software bugs.

There's a Co-Op I sometimes use opposite Charing Cross Station in London where they scrapped the self checkouts as they were continually breaking down.

Waitrose also use the same ones, but they're card only which appears to help them keep those running.
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

B&Q also use the wincor nixdorf ones.

The NCR tech is vastly superior. The most obvious thing being coin recycling, rather than having separate hoppers for inserted coins (not sorted) and ones for change.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
robschneider

The Morrisons ones piss me right off, always end up needing assistance.
simonipswich

Our little Asda at Stoke Park, Ipswich have had to install all new self service tills (this was done last Sunday) as when they did a software upgrade, 2 of the machines had a virus (how I do not know) and the rest of them could not deal with banana's... I kid you not. They were not on the pictures for the fruit and veg and you had to wait for the supervisor to come round and override the system with the code for banana's 4450! It was quite funny at times when a few people all ha banana's on their tills waiting! The supervisor said they had the engineer there all day one day trying to get it to install the code but the tills were having none of it! They even tried creating a new code and it would not allow it.
thegeek

Free bananas for all!

I think the new card machines at Tesco are less fussy about when you present a card - in fact, am I right in saying that you can tap a contactless card without having to press the card button?
woah

Most Co-ops here in Sheffield don't even have self service tills - as much as I'd like them to. My local has the kiosk and three conveyor belt tills but they never seem to cotton on to the idea of opening more than one till even if the queue is out of the door.

A larger ex-Somerfield store does have them - but they aren't the Wincor-Nixdorf units. They're some sort of IBM system that I've not seen anywhere else (like these but black and with no conveyor).There's no Co-operative branding on the system at all (the UI looks like some sort of ugly late 90s webpage), the reciept printer is separate and is attached on the side - and bizarrely, they bark out the price of every item you scan very loudly. There are also rubbishly written warnings everywhere on A4 paper not to use them for top-ups or gift cards, you can't cancel items or a transaction, and the scales are very fussy.

Not sure if they are some trial units or what - but there's certainly some room for improvement!
Pete

The IBM ones, iirc, are in the co-op near Earls Court
"He has to be larger than bacon"
thegeek

Bedwas Co-op has Scottish Gaelic signs instead of Welsh

(Welsh signs seem to confuse supermarket. See also: this one, this one and this one. On the other hand, sometimes the dragon escapes.)