The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Martin Phillp

Jonwo wrote: Fri 21 May, 2021 20.00
thegeek wrote: Fri 21 May, 2021 02.23
gottago wrote: Thu 20 May, 2021 18.20 M&S have refreshed their Stratford foodhall
I made the mistake of popping in when they were mid-refurb on the first Sunday the rest of the centre was open in anger, and it was the most stressful shopping experience I'd had in a while, because it was full of people getting in the way.

They have a packaging-free refill station where you can get dry goods like pasta, rice and cereal in your own containers (paper bags are available too). It had three drums full of mini chocolate pretzels at the end next to the scales, which is presumably where they make all their profit. I mean, it worked on me.
Is the refill station similar to the concept Waitrose Unpacked which is in a few places as well as Asda although can't remember which store is was in regards to Asda.
Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 21 May, 2021 00.20 Amazon Fresh have opened their fourth store in London and the first to be outside West London at Canary Wharf.
They're planning to open a store in Islington but it's being held up by the council.

I wish they'd hurry up and open a store in South or South West London so I can go visit one.
I can easily visit the Canary Wharf store, but like you I'm South London based and just want to not travel too far to try it out!
TVF's London Lite.
RDJ

So given our discussion about the Tesco Metro and Sainsbury’s Central in Birmingham a few posts ago I thought I’d go into the centre and take a look at them whilst they’re both here.

It’s no surprise this is closing down. It’s very grim in there. There’s no mention of the store closing down but they seem to have introduced a 7pm closing time instead of 10pm.

To my surprise the Tesco Metro has had a well needed refurb. All new fridges, much MUCH more space in there, redesigned aisles, a new modern customer service desk and kiosk with a Travel Money booth installed and they’ve got rid of all manned checkouts and replaced them with about THIRTY self-service checkouts. This makes me think this can’t be rebranded to an Express with that many checkouts - but there still remains to be no trolly access so it’s still possible I guess. That said, the unreliable escalators to the top level were broken yet again. With this being the only access to the upper level bar a lift, they really need to get a new set of escalators installed as they’re constantly broken down.
WillPS

Surely there's a staircase as well, for fire safety purposes if nothing else?
RDJ

WillPS wrote: Sun 23 May, 2021 23.22 Surely there's a staircase as well, for fire safety purposes if nothing else?
There probably is one behind a fire escape but there’s no public accessible staircase - just the lift and escalators.
robschneider

Ugh. I hate self checkout.

I don't work there!
WillPS

Do you say the same when you pay for parking, or use a vending machine?

How about bagging your shopping at a manned checkout? Or hell, going around the shop filling your trolley; surely that's the job of a worker no?
robschneider

WillPS wrote: Wed 26 May, 2021 00.15 Do you say the same when you pay for parking, or use a vending machine?

How about bagging your shopping at a manned checkout? Or hell, going around the shop filling your trolley; surely that's the job of a worker no?
No, because the technology works.

Self checkout constantly needs approval for items, and constant unexpected items in the bagging area. They just don't work properly.
Martin Phillp

Would I go back to having staffed basket only tills? No. Self checkouts on the whole have speeded up the process and you can have one member of staff supervising a bank of 20/30 tills.
TVF's London Lite.
gottago

robschneider wrote: Wed 26 May, 2021 11.40
WillPS wrote: Wed 26 May, 2021 00.15 Do you say the same when you pay for parking, or use a vending machine?

Self checkout constantly needs approval for items, and constant unexpected items in the bagging area. They just don't work properly.
It’s pretty rare that I have issues with unexpected items these days. They seem to have improved the tech or perhaps just tweaked the weights so it doesn’t happen as often as it once did.
WillPS

gottago wrote: Wed 26 May, 2021 17.36
robschneider wrote: Wed 26 May, 2021 11.40

It’s pretty rare that I have issues with unexpected items these days. They seem to have improved the tech or perhaps just tweaked the weights so it doesn’t happen as often as it once did.
Likewise, I don't have a problem with waiting 20 seconds on the rare occasion I need to buy something age restricted either. There are some shops which were once a complete nightmare due to not having enough tills to cope with demand (hello Sainsbury's Central, Sheffield) but are now completely frictionless thanks to self-checkouts.

I also find doing a big shop somewhere that doesn't offer scan as you shop to be a complete pain in the arse, all that unloading and reloading of the trolley. Balls to that.
Pete

I find its the older machines that are still in service that are the problematic ones. The newer machines are always lightening fast.
"He has to be larger than bacon"