The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

thegeek

MarkAshley wrote: Thu 20 Sep, 2018 00.20 Most tweets in one of those threads up there though seems to be hijacked by furious people north of the border who don't like the use of the union flag.
Why do angry Scotch people always have to spoil everything? #MelGibson
Tesco are pretty good with their regional flags. Most Scottish stores have Saltires aplenty on home-grown goods. The Kirkwall and Lerwick stores even have Orkney and Shetland flags (in the house style) on their POS, which is impressive given most people don't even realise they exist.
rdobbie wrote: Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01.02 If Tesco seriously think they're going to claw back any of Aldi and Lidl's market share with this extremely basic half-arsed effort, they've got another thing coming.
I suppose it comes down to the shopping experience. I was in a brand new Lidl today (in a unit previously inhabited by Bhs) and while the store itself wasn't too much of a scrum, the checkout area still felt like some sort of purgatory. I find the local Aldi (huge; in a former B&Q) is less painful, but I guess small checkout areas lower the overheads and doesn't put people off if it's the price of saving money on their big shop.
sqwidge1978

Popped into Jack's in immingham today and must say how disappointed I was, I looked like Aldi and Lidl 10 years ago, it looked bland and not at all warm like the Aldi and Lidl stores of the future. Also was not keen on the Jack's branded lines as they look cheap, much prefer Aldi and Lidl and there use of there own brand names on their product, also there was a lack of the finest range wh8ch can now be found in Aldi and Lidl.
Pete

Just passed the previously mentioned Battle Hill OneStop and Tesco Express oddity

A new fact that has came to light is the onestop includes a post office.

Still baffling.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Pete

Just passed the previously mentioned Battle Hill OneStop and Tesco Express oddity

A new fact that has came to light is the onestop includes a post office.

Still baffling.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
all new Phil

I predict Home Bargains will grow to become a big player. One near me has recently taken over the adjacent Poundstretcher and knocked through, creating a huge store that looks pretty decent. There’s a massive one being built next to Liverpool Airport. Their newer stores look really smart with a darker teal colour scheme and really good quality fixtures and fittings. Much better than their rivals - a new B&M opened recently but you’d be forgiven for thinking it was already 10 years old as it looks pretty dated.

Only thing that winds me up about Home Bargains is the offensive bright yellow barkers they have on their shelf edges that look like they were printed in the 80s.
bilky asko

My nearest B&M has got about 5 or 6 broken fluorescent tubes around the store, flashing on and off repetitively in the most annoying manner.

I just hope their lax standards don't ruin Heron Foods...
thegeek

Remember when Tesco originally launched their clothing line, it was called Florence & Fred?

It appears they're bringing the names back, but for the baby range:

it appears to have snuck out in some of the international markets already.
Square Eyes

Tesco are rolling out this 'Bulk Buys' section in 12 stores.

Basically clearing out a section of the store for these cash & carry style offers with mega-sized boxes of Daz, boxes of Fairy Liquid, bags of 600 tea bags, mega multi-packs of crisps with 50 bags etc....

Looks trashy.
all new Phil

Is this tactic of trying to be all things to all men really a good one? I don’t get it. If you want to shop at a discounter store, you go to Aldi or Lidl. If you want to bulk buy, you go to Booker (admittedly the same company) or somewhere like Home Bargains or B&M. Tesco cynically muscling in on each of these niches just makes me think of them as desperate to take over.
gottago

Square Eyes wrote: Fri 12 Oct, 2018 00.10 Tesco are rolling out this 'Bulk Buys' section in 12 stores.

Basically clearing out a section of the store for these cash & carry style offers with mega-sized boxes of Daz, boxes of Fairy Liquid, bags of 600 tea bags, mega multi-packs of crisps with 50 bags etc....

Looks trashy.
It's reminding me of the Bid-up.tv warehouse clearance sales for some reason. Maybe it's the arrows.
Martin Phillp

Looks like a tidier Kwik Save.
TVF's London Lite.