The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Sat 28 Mar, 2020 20.35 I bought a Be Good To Yourself ready meal the other day and I was surprised at the lack of any Sainsburys branding on it. Are the House 247 things the same?
Yepp, like the brands at Tesco.

The only indication is in the contact details on the reverse of the packaging.
Pete

Martin Phillp wrote: Sat 28 Mar, 2020 19.21 Sainsbury's recently launched the replacement brands for Basics. House 247 is the new budget brand for household products. This follows Stamford St for some food products.
are any of the House 247 things likely to be colisted in argos tho? I noticed their homeware had became simply Home and had both an EAN and argos catalogue number on the packaging.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Martin Phillp

Here's a pic of some of the rebranded products. I didn't realise Just Snax is another JS brand as well.

TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Pete wrote: Sat 28 Mar, 2020 21.39
Martin Phillp wrote: Sat 28 Mar, 2020 19.21 Sainsbury's recently launched the replacement brands for Basics. House 247 is the new budget brand for household products. This follows Stamford St for some food products.
are any of the House 247 things likely to be colisted in argos tho? I noticed their homeware had became simply Home and had both an EAN and argos catalogue number on the packaging.
I doubt it but it's not impossible I guess. The margins on these Aldi-competing products are pretty tight.

As an aside the old JS Home label also replaced stuff that would have had Argos' "The Collection" brand. It makes sense in my mind when the product can be colisted, less so when it's something like this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ug1SkUyb15CfjLjY6
WillPS

I noticed this branding curiosity yesterday:
thegeek

WillPS wrote: Tue 21 Apr, 2020 11.46 I noticed this branding curiosity yesterday:
I've come to realise that 'allergy update' generally means 'we've changed supplier for this product so it's a completely different recipe'. (So in this case the same as Sainsbury's?)
cwathen

Sainsbury's now moving 'the vast majority' of their full size supermarkets to close at 10PM by next week along with petrol station kiosks reopening and convenience stores starting to go back to 11PM. Also a pledge to introduce additional screens for staff to enable more manned checkouts to be open.

Whilst ranging generally isn't a problem (even seen a few things back in stock that I haven't seen since the beginning of March), since they removed all restrictions I've started to see a few nutters buying excess quantities again leading to further people topping up just in case and then individual lines running out before the end of the day. So today by early afternoon there was not one single box of eggs left which is not something which was happening when people were restricted to 1 of each item. Hopefully this time if there is any sign of stockpiling they will be quick to snap the restrictions back on before it gets out of hand.

Has anyone else had rather odd changes to the queuing system? The system my local store has had for the past month seemed to be working fine, even when busy, but today they have modified it so that you can no longer walk straight out of the store into the car park, but instead are funnelled through a barriered route with a further barrier at the end of it being opened and closed so that people going in and out aren't walking into each other's paths which is a situation they created by changing how the queuing works. So essentially when busy there will be people queuing inside the store to get out. I don't see how that can help with moving the queues quickly, or help with social distancing, or how it can possibly be legal from a fire safety point of view to pen in people trying to leave with barriers leaving only one small way out which itself is gated.
all new Phil

Waitrose near me have just made part of the store one way, barriering off parts so people have to follow it. In all honesty it was better without, as now it creates a backlog when one person stops right in the middle of the aisle (as many of their predominantly boomer audience seem to enjoy doing).
cwathen

all new Phil wrote: Thu 23 Apr, 2020 21.35 Waitrose near me have just made part of the store one way, barriering off parts so people have to follow it. In all honesty it was better without, as now it creates a backlog when one person stops right in the middle of the aisle (as many of their predominantly boomer audience seem to enjoy doing).
I remember an obscure supermarket chain called Norman's in the 80's and 90's. My local store was essentially a disparate collection of outbuildings linked together and therefore customers were essentially marched through the store in a specific order, with no way to go back if you forgot anything and anyone not moving forward holding it up for everyone. Questions about what would ever happen if there was a fire in the store were rife till the day it shut. Yet in 2020 we seem to be re-introducing these measures.

Had a bit of an altercation in Sainsbury's a couple of days ago..they've resisted a blanket one way system but they have installed one (with metal barriers down the middle and all) on the fresh meat aisle. We were all a bit frustrated with the old bat in front of us feeling the need to individually examine, squeeze and check the date on every pack of beef mince preventing anyone else from moving forward, but nothing spelt 'not getting the crisis' to me like the twat that ran in to me from behind to grab a pack of meat, infringing into my marked out 2 metre box which I was complying with, and when I turned around I see him wearing an N95 face mask which front line health professionals can't get, latex gloves on top of other gloves and a thick winter coat buttoned up to the collar - so he takes the whole situation so seriously that he protects himself to the extent that he might be protected from a small nuclear explosion yet doesn't bat an eyelid at pushing me out of the way (wearing no PPE at all because A) I don't believe it's necessary if you are respecting social distancing and B) even if it is, I'd rather the healthcare workers had it) in case I get the last piece of Topside joint with Salt & Pepper crust.

Part of me wishes supermarkets introduce a separate queue for people who have made amateur hazmat arrangements and they are forced to wait until last to enter.
all new Phil

Oh I agree (and I feel a cwathen essay is a treat we’ve all been missing so thanks!) - I think the optimal solution would be to enforce a click and collect system to be honest. Not sure how it’d work but it would cut out those going for a browse because they’re bored.
bilky asko

This is the problem when you start shopping in a place as downmarket as Sainsbury's. You're bound to suffer injuries or die in a fire.

My lockdown supermarket is Morrisons, so there's no one way system at all. They've recently erected a barrier between the self-service checkouts and the manned tills, presumably to bring one of them back into action.