The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

WillPS

Pete wrote: Sun 27 May, 2018 20.43 https://www.ncr.com/retail/food-drug-ma ... elfserv-90

this, btw, is the aforementioned never switched on any more till in the tesco express. does anyone else have these?

i say never switched on. it is on. all the time. but never usable. so wasting power.
Began using one of those in the store in Grand Central, Birmingham last week, then realised it wouldn't do Pay+ so found a normal one.
thegeek

Pete wrote: Sun 27 May, 2018 20.43 https://www.ncr.com/retail/food-drug-ma ... elfserv-90

this, btw, is the aforementioned never switched on any more till in the tesco express. does anyone else have these? .
You just reminded me I took a photo of one of Waitrose's, which appears to be a similar product from Wincor Nixdorf
Philip wrote: Sun 27 May, 2018 22.29 Never used them because they don't take cash and I've always been using cash when I've gone in there so far.
I don't remember the last time I paid cash in a supermarket - usually I pay with Android Pay, because chances are I'll have been using my phone while waiting in the queue and it'll be to hand anyway.
(Yesterday I was in Sainsbury's and contactless wasn't working, which meant having to put my 1-year old son down on the basket shelf to fish out my wallet to do chip & pin. Just occurred to me that I could have put him on the scales and saved a trip to the health visitor)
Philip

Yep it’s pretty unusual I admit - I’ve just needed change the few times I’ve gone in there (it’s the one on Great Crosshall Street in Liverpool I’m talking about with the funny self service tills - not my regular Express)

Usually use contactless myself. I’ll try Apple Pay one day, I’ve just managed to convince myself it’ll be the one day it doesn’t work…
Martin Phillp

Philip wrote: Mon 28 May, 2018 14.55

Usually use contactless myself. I’ll try Apple Pay one day, I’ve just managed to convince myself it’ll be the one day it doesn’t work…
I've used Google Pay over the last couple of months. Natwest have allowed Basic current account users (who usually have to have a connection at all times when paying to confirm funds) to use it with GPay. This now allows me to benefit from contactless payments as well as being able to use it on TfL operated public transport in London without having to pre-pay with an Oyster card.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

I can't help thinking there's a better way to communicate this information...

tillyoshea

ph2o wrote: Thu 09 Nov, 2017 13.23 Not quite sure about the new Finest look. They have stepped back to the old look but I don't like the new font of the product description.
I was surprised to see this rebrand crop up in the business press again this week - apparently, it has contributed to a reduction in the amount of (non-recyclable) black plastic used by Tesco.
Martin Phillp

Aldi, Lidl and Iceland will close at 3pm on Sunday if England reach the World Cup final.
TVF's London Lite.
Critique

Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 10 Jul, 2018 17.14 Aldi, Lidl and Iceland will close at 3pm on Sunday if England reach the World Cup final.
Iceland doing one better than the other two actually by saying they'll close at 2pm. The 3pm close on the surface might seem nice but just because the doors shut at 3pm surely that won't mean staff all get to leave then? At least 2pm gives them time to get out and get somewhere the watch the match!
thegeek

Slightly weaselly non-answer which suggests their staff will be rostered for a longer shift elsewhere in the month to make up for being sent home early.
Martin Phillp

Iceland Clapham today.

TVF's London Lite.
james2001

I'm guessing they were taken down pretty sharpish about 3 hours ago.