The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

m-in-m

scottishtv wrote:
m-in-m wrote:They do not allow the use of coupons - which considering Sainsburys have been/are rolling out coupon printers on all their tills seems a little silly.
Indeed. Why are separate, additional Epson (I think) printers needed at each checkout for these coupons? Tesco used to print Clubcard bonus coupons on the same till printer so why is the additional printer needed? Maybe all the pre-printed T&Cs on the back are the reason I suppose, but it seems extravagent. Also slows down the transaction time as the coupons still seem to print only after the receipt has printed.

Also, all the offers I've been getting lately are really poor like "50p off when you spend £7 on bread" and the like. I thought they were meant to be targeted?!

And while we're talking about these things, why do the Sainsbury's till drawers still pop open after a card transaction? This used to be needed so the staff member could put in the store copy of the signed receipt, but since Chip-and-PIN was introduced this is no longer required. M&S stopped the till opening the cash drawers soon after Chip-and-PIN was introduced as tp reduce the security risk of someone seeing lots of cash and fancying a grab at it. What do the other supermarket tills do?
The paper the coupons print on appears to be more secure - I also believe they are colour. Perhaps Sainsburys believe they will stand out more to customers in their purses and wallets. It does avoid the risk of fading which you can get with thermal till receipts - though I doubt that is actually a serious issue for the length of time a voucher is valid for.

I have never understood the reason why any shop would allow a till drawer to open needlessly. It must surely be possible for Sainsburys to program their tills to only open when cash or vouchers were tendered, where stamps are sold, or where cashback is requested. It reduces the risk of theft by 'customers' and staff.
wells

Maybe they hadn't took the decision to update at the time.
Philip Cobbold

scottishtv wrote:
m-in-m wrote:They do not allow the use of coupons - which considering Sainsburys have been/are rolling out coupon printers on all their tills seems a little silly.
Indeed. Why are separate, additional Epson (I think) printers needed at each checkout for these coupons? Tesco used to print Clubcard bonus coupons on the same till printer so why is the additional printer needed? Maybe all the pre-printed T&Cs on the back are the reason I suppose, but it seems extravagent. Also slows down the transaction time as the coupons still seem to print only after the receipt has printed.

Also, all the offers I've been getting lately are really poor like "50p off when you spend £7 on bread" and the like. I thought they were meant to be targeted?!

And while we're talking about these things, why do the Sainsbury's till drawers still pop open after a card transaction? This used to be needed so the staff member could put in the store copy of the signed receipt, but since Chip-and-PIN was introduced this is no longer required. M&S stopped the till opening the cash drawers soon after Chip-and-PIN was introduced as tp reduce the security risk of someone seeing lots of cash and fancying a grab at it. What do the other supermarket tills do?
The drawer opens so you can put any coupons the customer has redeemed into the drawer, and also to allow cashback to be taken out.
jay

My local Tesco (apparantly the flagship), has just installed brand-new self-service machines.

They've completely got rid of the trolley self-service tills (the ones with the conveyor belt), but they have a much wider space and lots of room for loads of bags at the end. They are very very fast (something which is very welcome after years of the slow old original self-service tills), and they resemble some sort of small space-like robot. A welcome change!
Twitter: @jasonbetts
scottishtv

m-in-m wrote:I have never understood the reason why any shop would allow a till drawer to open needlessly. It must surely be possible for Sainsburys to program their tills to only open when cash or vouchers were tendered, where stamps are sold, or where cashback is requested. It reduces the risk of theft by 'customers' and staff.
On the vouchers, I guess they *are* quite bright and colourful so maybe they are more likely to be used. Also, I suppose they would get through a hell of a lot of till rolls if they just used the till printer.
Agreed re the cash drawer. Surely the systems are clever enough to know when a coupon has been redeemed or cashback requested and only open then.
nwtv2003

Hymagumba wrote:I came across a morrisons self service till in another town recently and was amazed at the over the top money insertion system, it was rather fab.
Our local Morrisons had the self serve installed recently, although most of the time I pay by card, the one time I did use coins I was amazed at that, it looked like a mini travellator thing, although the one flaw there is that it takes the till a good few seconds to recognise how much money you have inserted into the till. Plus if you look closely all the self serve have special Traffic lights on them, green for all okay and red for assistance.

The same store has had a refit pretty recently so we've also gained the whole Techno@M thing, and it looks pretty snazzy.
steve
Beep

New Tesco Extra being built by my house soon :D The old building has been flattened and the cranes ect. are moving in.

"Tesco Extra Yardley" doesn't really work though. I'd have called it "Tesco Extra Birmingham" or "Tesco Extra West Midlands". Makes it seem bigger.
That shows the changes, look at the car park and look at the yellow, that is Tesco Extra.
It's replacing this though: Image

The Tesco itself, should look like this:
Cache

I really want one of these fantastic looking American tills in our Tesco.

I'm assured by my friend that they "work like a charm" which would be very welcome indeed, as the ones that we have at the moment take about 4 minutes to scan one item...
cdd

The Tesco in the Oxford Retail Park has one of the new style NCR Fastlane tills. The best thing is that instead of a little slot to insert change, you get a big tray you can toss cash into much like the things at the automated tolls.

I now save all my change up for my visits to that Tesco. Then I toss all my small change in and put the rest on my card. Especially if Gav's behind me. ;)
Pete

Oh yes, I use them to dispose of annoying change too. I pay around 15p in pennys in and then put the rest on my card. It's so fab and doesn't involve the charge like coinstar would.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
wells

cdd wrote:The Tesco in the Oxford Retail Park has one of the new style NCR Fastlane tills. The best thing is that instead of a little slot to insert change, you get a big tray you can toss cash into much like the things at the automated tolls.

I now save all my change up for my visits to that Tesco. Then I toss all my small change in and put the rest on my card. Especially if Gav's behind me. ;)
Earlier this year one of self services machines gave me 20c (euro), instead of a pound coin. The Sainsbury's store in St Johns, Worcester, had only been open a few days (IIRC) so wonder if it could be something to do with the testing process or whether someone just got lucky who was trying to rid themselves of their holiday change.