The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 06 Nov, 2020 00.33
bilky asko wrote: Thu 05 Nov, 2020 23.05
Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 05 Nov, 2020 22.36 Sainsbury's didn't sell fireworks this year.
They stopped in 2019 as a cost-cutting measure.
It was a sensible decision considering that for the majority of the time when they were on sale that a member of staff would be standing there not selling many, except for the day or two before November 5th when a small queue would form.
Tesco haven't manned the counter full time in a long while, an announcement goes out for somebody everytime a customer is seen waiting at the desk.
Pete

Has anyone else got the new style self scan interface on the scan as you shop checkouts? Instant transfer from the guns, readable receipts will *full product names*, and a much simpler set of buttons on the screen.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
woah

Pete wrote: Sat 07 Nov, 2020 18.30 Has anyone else got the new style self scan interface on the scan as you shop checkouts? Instant transfer from the guns, readable receipts will *full product names*, and a much simpler set of buttons on the screen.
Yes - there's a rating screen at the end so I assume they're trialling it on scan as you shop.

It looks loads smarter, and is far more responsive - so hopefully it does get a wider rollout.

It also dispenses with the silly voiceover that was supposed to sound natural but actually sounds ridiculous. "Look up items, or have a browse" - I mean really... the new one sounds much more normal.
WillPS

Yes. Has a feature/bug whereby you can keep scanning/tapping/swiping/inserting different Clubcards.

This is particularly annoying for me, as I want to pay on my Tesco Premium Credit Card, but doing so drops my Colleague Clubcard (and thus my Colleague Discount, and my Clubcard Plus discounts).

There are still branches around here which have the old interface with the big Finish & Pay button - and take a good minute or two to fully transfer a big shop.
Pete

For those curious about the new tills

Probably should fix the issue with the uploader and vertical photos at some point...
WillPS

Asda are trialling eSELs

Wonder if this trial will actually go anywhere.
Pete

So, something I've noticed with the new till software is it doesn't always transmit the things in the order you scanned it in.

In addition, multibuy offers get the discount split across the items, my £3 meal deal includes distinct amounts taken off each item.
Philip

I used a Tesco trolley today which had the flowers/multipack holder instructions in Czech (after Google translating it).
Jonwo

Will be interesting how the Amazon Go store does in Ealing. It's a bit far for me to visit at the moment so I probably wait until the Stay at Home order is dropped to have a nosey.
scottishtv

Jonwo wrote: Fri 05 Mar, 2021 18.43 Will be interesting how the Amazon Go store does in Ealing. It's a bit far for me to visit at the moment so I probably wait until the Stay at Home order is dropped to have a nosey.
I wonder how many visits it would take me before I had the confidence to not obsessively check every item on the receipt once it arrives.
thegeek

Jonwo wrote: Fri 05 Mar, 2021 18.43 Will be interesting how the Amazon Go store does in Ealing. It's a bit far for me to visit at the moment so I probably wait until the Stay at Home order is dropped to have a nosey.
A friend sent me a picture of it this evening with a bigger queue to get in than my local big Tesco usually has.